IR files

I have had a bunch of tube preamps and amps (stereo equipment). I once got a group together to order a bunch of NOS tubes from Russia that were originally built to be used in pre-cold War MIG jets instrument panels. Certain tubes go in and out of style in amps, but of course there are no bass or guitar specific tubes.

4 Likes

Still my all time favorite preamps

4 Likes

Thatā€™s cool!

Yeah I know little about tube choices. But I have a guitarist buddy who totally geeks out over them and absolutely loves el34s. He would love this pedal.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was mostly pointing out that you can record your own IR files with it.
I donā€™t know about recording your own, possibly you can do it within DAWā€™s, but doing it from a pedal seems like a nice feature for those that donā€™t get very heavy into DAW recording, but still like the idea of IR files

2 Likes

Good to know. When you say amp are you referring to the cabinet too?

3 Likes

12AX7 is a small low current high gain dual triode used on preamps, you can find it pretty everywhere on guitar and bass preamps. the SVT CL has 12AX7s for example, and more or less every tube guitar amps are based on this tube. Even some B15 versions use 12AX7s, itā€™s by far the more common tube you can find in the guitar/bass world.

EL84 is a noval power tube for low power amps, a pair of EL84 (class A/B) is about 18-20w. the Vox AC30 uses 4 EL84 for a total power of 36w.

EL34 is an octal power tube for bigger power amps. this tube is famous in Marshall amps (JCM800, all the Plexi-era amps) and a pair of EL34 (class A/B) is about 50-60w. this tube could work fine for bass amps too, even if it doesnā€™t have the best headroom.

in bass amps you will often find KT88 (Sunn T) or 6550 (Ampeg SVTs) which are octal power tubes with more power and also way more headroom than EL34. you can find 6L6 on cheaper all-tube amps (Fender).

3 Likes

This is a world that I feel like if I got sucked in to, I would get sucked in super deep. It certainly happened to my friend.

2 Likes

possibly one of the biggest rabbit holes you could ever imagine

3 Likes

Have you got it yet? I have one in my Amazon shopping cart, just waiting to hear your feedback before I order it.

1 Like

Supposed to be here Wednesday. I have got or am getting a bunch of new stuff, so I will update the gear and effects thread when I get it all. But if youā€™re buying it on azon, if it were me I would just order it, because returns are so easy (make sure itā€™s a prime sale or returnable).

2 Likes

Iā€™ll have to admit that I must withdraw my offer to try your radar if you donā€™t like it. Thereā€™s one already on the way. :flushed:

I had this great strategy going where I thought if I bought an end-quality multi effects pedal I could just be done and it would keep me out of this world. How silly. This isnā€™t practical. Itā€™s what Iā€™d always rather be doing.

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::+1::+1:

1 Like

So Two Notes offers their tube amp sim/IR convolver plugin as a download free trial, with the requirement that after the trial ends you buy one of their cab sims (just under 7 euro):

Looks pretty nice. Iā€™m set with NadIR but if you donā€™t have one this might be good to try.

2 Likes

I got that one you showed me, and I Have not even used it yet. I donā€™t even use the ones in the Dark Glass AOE much either.
I am happy to have learned about them and all the info you and others have shared, but at this piont, I am not even using them, and donā€™t have plans to in the very near future, so until then, I am good, but thanks for the link, maybe someday I would try theirs weather it is on sale or not.

can confirm that these (dr. bonkers) work for the mooer radar. they sound pretty good! you want the 44.1 khz files, either the stereo or mono ones work. and they do also work with the pedalā€™s cab sims. thanx tdub!

2 Likes

https://seacowcabs.wordpress.com/2019/08/06/american-invasion-ir-pack/

https://honestampsimreviews.com/2019/07/02/quick-guide-bass-impulse-responses/

i havenā€™t tried any of these yet.

2 Likes

Iā€™m interested more and more by this thing ā€¦

3 Likes

yeah, finicky power requirements and not too many used/bargains yet. but i like it. so does pam btw.

2 Likes

what I would like to do, is try to disable the cab modeling (pre- IR) on my Bass PODs to have an amp model only, and plug this into the Radar with a modern IR file. Iā€™m really convinced that the preamp section of the Bass POD is still excellent, but I wonder if a IR cab model would sound better than the old Line 6 cab models. Iā€™m pretty sure about the answer ā€¦

3 Likes

Radar looks like a cool pedal.

If you want to quickly test a modern IR with the POD you could apply one in Reaper with NadIR (or another IR loader) - thatā€™s what I do right now.

1 Like