Is bass good for your health?

Sound frequencies below 100 kz apparently rejuvenate cells!

9 Likes

That’s why bassists are always happiest bunch in a bands.

9 Likes

Yeah, baby! I was wondering why my neighbors are looking so much younger these days.

I guess I don’t need to turn down after all.

8 Likes

Ha! You beat me to it. I was going say something similar.

9 Likes

So, not to burst anyone’s bubble here, but it’s still “ultrasound” frequencies, not “infrasound” frequencies.

They say it’s below 100 kHz, but still above 20 kHz, and no matter how new those stainless steel strings are, that’s going to be tough on a bass.

So, “low frequency waves” as in their blurb is misleading (to say the least). It’s all relative, and they are “low” compared to medical ultrasound frequencies (which are in MHz), but these frequencies are still nowhere near to what comes out of a bass…

Sorry :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Oh, well, it was nice to have that illusion for a while, anyway! :smile:

4 Likes

I get younger every time I play. Every single time. :blush:

5 Likes

Yep, @joergkutter, the sound waves aren’t going to help us. But that’s ok, Rock and Roll is here to save the day! (Or any other music for that matter). Learning an instrument prevents cognitive decline. (It’s a personal plus that the research is from my alma mater. Go Badgers!)

Romeiser JL, Smith DM, Clouston SAP (2021) Musical instrument engagement across the life course and episodic memory in late life: An analysis of 60 years of longitudinal data from the Wisconsin Longitudinal Study. PLoS ONE 16(6): e0253053. Musical instrument engagement across the life course and episodic memory in late life: An analysis of 60 years of longitudinal data from the Wisconsin Longitudinal Study

4 Likes

Oh, yes, absolutely, music has numerous benefits - no doubt about that whatsoever :smile:

3 Likes

7 Likes

Hey… that was supposed to be a private shot from my last birthday… how did this end up in your hands??? :thinking: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

Is Bass good for your health?

4 Likes

Ha! I thought you were just showing the price tag at first!

2 Likes

It is for my family. Between my bass and my motorcycle i stay pretty calm.

2 Likes

Who do you think you are bringing facts and logic into a news article??

4 Likes

Yeah, I know… I’ll see myself out (for today)!

1 Like

I know this has nothing to do with bass anymore, but just another example of a very misleading (and basically wrong) headline from today:

Much, much further down in the article this is put a bit in perspective, but as it is, it has this total doomsday ring to it (just to grab attention, I guess).
TLDR: the core is not stopping, it is getting in lockstep with the rest of the planet’s rotation; “reverse” would just mean it slows down a bit more wrt to the rest of the planet, so it seems to be rotating backwards; also, all this data is extremely difficult to interpret.

2 Likes

I don’t know about any science on it, but i know picking up a bass and playing it makes me feel good. In a world filled with economic turmoil, political upheaval, class warfare, generalized discontent and war it is my firm belief that activities that make us smile and make people dance have an inherent health value.
Can i prove that playing music has a measurable amount of impact on physical health? No.
Can i state for fact that it helped me maintain sanity during a pandemic lockdown? Absolutely.

I cannot correlate happiness to health. But in my clearly uneducated opinion, things that make us happy and aren’t obviously detrimental are good.

4 Likes

I agree 100%. Click bait. I expect TMZ and Buzzfeed to have misleading clickbait headlines - but I’m really disappointed to see what should be professional news organizations resorting to this tactic.

Man, this makes me sound like a grumpy old man, but there has been a serious decline in news quality overall. Not referring at all to content - just in actual writing and presentation. Poor if not misleading headlines and most shockingly, utterly missing the lead. I know a lot of former newspaper editors are rolling in their graves!

2 Likes

Remove it, you will be safe!

1 Like