Is bending a bass neck ok?

Hello,

So I found out that when you can do quite usefully change the pitch of a note you hold when you bend your bass’ neck. Right now I am finally writing my first full-length bass-based song and there’s a part when I would really like to use this kind of articulation.

The question is if it’s ok for the bass and its neck joint or if it’s actually a bad thing to incorporate into your playing.

6 Likes

Well, there’s a reason why Billy Sheehan’s bass has 6 bolts to keep the neck attached to the body :sweat_smile:

Not really an expert on the subject, but it certainly adds strain to the joint.

4 Likes

Oh, I will check it out. The issue for me is, that the bend gives really unnatural feeling of “missing rigidity”, so I was like … “ok, although this sounds good, it doesn’t feel right, I should probably ask someone before I’ll destroy my bass.”

3 Likes

No different than when guitarists do it.
Bassists do it too.
I think the key is doing it right and not going nuts on the thing.

1 Like

“nuts on the thing” … oh, that’s the issue … in this case, one really wants to find out what bend is possible, so I can imagine some people “dislocated” their bass’ neck in the past. Can I simply add two more bolts to my neck joint?

1 Like

Here’s one of the videos where Billy talks about bending the neck :wink:

3 Likes

Billy bends it like a mad man and it holds tight, so guess I am ok with my rather smaller bends.

3 Likes

I ripped off a fingernail (like, the whole nail, ripped off the nail bed and half out of the base) in a motorcycle accident once. That was an ER trip.

Billy does it playing pinch harmonics on stage. And superglues it back on.

3 Likes

That was the original intention for super glue, an emergency medical aid.

2 Likes

To change the pitch of a note, you bend the string . . not the neck, Tom :slight_smile:

And no . . . it’s NOT ok for the bass and its neck joint.

Cheers
Joe

1 Like