Is DI out at instrument level or at mic level?

For the tech-savvy amongst us: is a DI out from an amp head typically at line or at mic level??

I can’t find theses specs for my amp, but the manual gives the output impedances, which are 600 Ohm for both the line output and the DI output. Can I infer from that information that the DI out level is at line level??

Thanks!

2 Likes

I think it must be line level

2 Likes

Actually they are mic level :slight_smile:

Or at least can be. I would not be surprised if line level signals used the same cable. But AFAIK DI out are balanced mic level signals.

2 Likes

oh sorry :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you gentlemen (@terb and @howard )

I wanted to ask before trying something “dangerous”, but I ended up doing some testing. I routed the DI out both into a line in and a mic in, and the mic in gave the better (louder) signal level, so I guess that would corroborate Howard’s suggestion.

(And, indeed, in the meantime, I also read that DI out is a balanced mic signal. I still was a bit dubious and hesitant to route it into the mic input, though :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

Actually…

“The DI out from an amp head is typically at line level, not mic level. This is because the DI out is designed to send a signal directly to a mixing console or recording device, bypassing the need for a microphone. Line level signals are stronger than mic level signals and are the standard level for signals passing between audio equipment like mixers, processors, and amplifiers.”

Guess it depends on the amp specs?

4 Likes

More that it depends on if it is a DI or an amp, and the specs of the DI. I am not surprised amps send line level at all.

4 Likes

Yeah, the output of a passive DI box is typically at mic level.

2 Likes

Yeah, amps typically also specify Line Out, which if not line level is just mean :rofl:

2 Likes

Oh well I just sold my last amp head anyway :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Well done!

I may be late to the party, but I found this helpful:

Seeing I fried a DI this year by routing the wrong signal into it.
Cheers,
Antonio

2 Likes