Is my hand shape eligible for bass?

Hi, I really want to play bass but there is something that discourages me from starting. I think my fingers are not long enough to play. They are not too short, but not long either. I also have a weird hand shape which you will see in the photo. What are your opinions and advices?

7 Likes

You’re fine. My advice is: don’t worry about this. Ignore anything you see online about small hands and bass, unless it’s literally “Don’t worry about it.”

If you don’t believe me, believe F-Chopper:

8 Likes

@Vanguard hey man, if this old guy can have old-ass, been nearly crushed and have arthritic pain every moment of the day with back pain nerve numbness mixed in and force himself to push through it, there should be hope for anyone trying to start Bass.

Photo evidence of crappy hands:

Your hands do not look this bad!

I started at the end of August this year and back and life issues held my progress back a lot. Doesn’t mean I didn’t try working my hands and just doing things that would help. Your hands already look better than mine, but the one thing you’re missing is a Bass in that picture!

Do it, join the Dark Side! We have hand pain, but sweet sounds as well.

10 Likes

Yeah pretty far from being a basketball-palming NBA star here myself:

8 Likes

@howard MESSED UP HAND BROS, UNITE!

In all seriousness, I have to push myself through. This is the first thing I have legit enjoyed in so long.

I know I’m not going to deluxe studio musician of the stars, but I do not care. If I can play a song all the way through in the next 4 months, I’ll be pretty happy!

6 Likes

A year and a half out from finishing the course, it’s not really my fretting hand that limits me at the moment, it’s my plucking hand, which I did not anticipate. I’ve kind of run in to a speed wall plucking. Which of course has nothing to do with hand size.

I can’t make Josh-like stretch reaches while fretting, but all that means is I might have to shift more. No big deal, just takes a little more work.

5 Likes

The idea is to have fun. We can all do that. Everything above that is gravy :+1:

6 Likes

I’m having the same issue with my plucking hand speed too @howard! Very frustrating

Welcome to the forums @Vanguard
I’ve got short stubby fingers, a plate in my right wrist and my right index finger has been rebuilt after dropping a Land Rover on while working with it on a Jack. Stupidity at its finest. I’m sure you’ll do just fine :+1:

5 Likes

Am I seeing a future “Show us your hands” thread to go with “Show us your practice space” and “Show us your basses”?

5 Likes

I’m in! :smiley:

They weren’t the perfect hands to start with but now at 50 years old… scars, arthritis, tendonitis, numbness/weakness in the thumb, index and middle fingers, countless metal slivers from the machines I work on… even a fresh cut… but they can still make music.

4 Likes

Forgot to mention, pretty sure I cracked/broke my ring finger knuckle on my plucking hand too. Whacked it good and solid on a metal post, it swelled up to about half the size of an egg; swelling is going down now and leaving a world class bruise.

Oh well, sucks more for the keyboard work I am doing right now than bass. Not much to do about it.

7 Likes

That bruise is a good one :scream:
Okay I’m in :joy:

Plucking hand above and fretting hand below

3 Likes

That’s it, it’s decided. We must start a hand thread to show how gnarly our hands are :rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

I think this here is that!

We also had this a while back :smiley:

4 Likes

tumblr_ml8610h5i81r9sugyo1_500
Calling All Hands!

9 Likes

Hi @Vanguard, welcome to the forums! For what it’s worth, your hand doesn’t look weird to me at all. Now pick up a bass and start playing!

5 Likes

I thought I had a good hand, but some b*tch on the other side of the table pulled off kings over 7s.

12 Likes

Hands huh. Sure I’ll bite. I will add that with my line of work shy of boric acid this is about as clean as mine get :rofl:

I will also note that hand size is moot point. technique can be altered to accommodate hands of any size. I have even seen 1 handed players, players missing fingers. its all in your head if you think you cant play because of small hands, so just give it all its worth to you.

5 Likes

I have short fingers, but you can’t really tell that without scale, so I offer some relevant comparisons. :smiley:
(I’m going to see a local luthier tomorrow because the Warwick has a C shaped neck, and the Fbass has a D shaped neck. Modern Warwicks have been on a diet and feel very much like the Fbass, so it’s time for some slimming down…

9 Likes

Hey, don’t get caught up in all the hooey about hand size. Small hands can play bass, too. You might try a slimer neck design, such as a jazz bass, or even a short scale. Then, keep practicing. Believe it or not, you can “train” your hands to stretch. The more you practice the better it will be. And don’t give up. It may be a tad rough at first but dexterity will improve. I’m an old dude with all the aches and pains associated with age and body abuse. If I can play the bass, you can too. Good luck.

8 Likes