Is there ever a reason to rest your thumb on the D string?

I sometimes notice I do this, but it starts to create trouble because then the E string is unmuted and can start to rumble.

So my question is: should I ever rest my thumb on the D string, or should it never get beyond the A string?

1 Like

I don’t think there’s rules, so do what feels comfortable and works. Rest it on the pickup, float completely free or do what I do and set it on the string above the string you’re playing. I also lay my thumb against the other strings to mute, so my E doesn’t rumble.

4 Likes

My understanding is you shouldn’t need to anchor your thumb on the D because if you are plucking the D, well it doesn’t need muting and if you are plucking the G then your finger should come to rest on the D and mute it. Guess that won’t work if you are using a pick?

That said if you use the floating thumb technique you can probably mute the D whilst still muting the E. I believe one of the reasons for adopting that technique is because of these issues on 5/6 string basses.

4 Likes

I think you already solved it here.
If anchoring your thumb on the A can keep this E string quiet, then leave your thumb on the A.
If you can get that E quiet while your thumb moves to the D, all is well.

There’ s nothing wrong with it unless it’s letting the E ring.

5 Likes