Is this a technique problem?

Heyo, recently I have noticed my strings buzzing when I pull off of a fret. I recently got a setup done so there can’t be a problem with that (I think?). Any tips on how to fix would be great.

1 Like

Over the year you will need to adjust the truss rod based on changing humidity.

4 Likes

You probably got a hex wrench with the bass if it was new. Adjusting the truss is what it’s for. In my experience this happens a lot when the seasons change

Might help some.

2 Likes

Assuming your bass is set up well, it could be a technique problem.

Sometimes I still get this if I’m playing too fast or over stretching. If I know the piece better or pay closer attention to fretting cleanly, it goes away.

A word of warning about having someone else setup your bass. Whenever I’ve paid someone else for a setup, it has never been what I wanted. YMMV.

This isn’t to say they’re all bad. Plenty of people around BassBuzz have had great luck finding someone to do thier setups. I just haven’t been so lucky.

5 Likes

thx for the responses so far dudes \m/ i’ll try these out and get back to you.

2 Likes

I find I get that if I’m a bit sloppy lifting my finger from fretting. If you’re muting it will hide it but otherwise make sure to lift your finger cleanly. Counter intuitively I find it can be worse if playing slowly as I, at least, have a tendency to do everything slowly including lifting my fretting finger and also making the transition to the next fret slowly. Bad mistake, if playing slowly I have to focus on holding the note for the full duration and then making just as fast a transition as if I were playing really fast.

3 Likes

I may have figured the problem out, I’m not too well versed in this so please let me know if I’m mistaken. I have attached this image of my fingerboard and the action is what’s causing it?? It looks pretty low to me.

1 Like

That action appears exceptionally low.

1 Like

@MikeC could you take a look at this? It could be the angle of the picture but the action looks really low. Also, that center fret looks high like the truss rod needs adjustment.

I’m trying not to jump to conclusions. It could just be the angle.

The pic was likely taken with a phone, which by default uses a very wide-angle lens, which explains the distortion of the fret angles.

It seems that this bass needs a truss rod tweak for more relief and some saddle lowering for easier upper-frets action. In short, a good setup. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks guys, I’ll let my Dad know and see what can be done. :+1:

2 Likes

It will also make the neck look like it does have less relief than in reality if it is positioned above the center line of the image.

@harrison-layton if your camera has enough resolution, try taking a picture of your neck with your camera further away, and crop down to the neck. That way, the distortion of the lens will be much less pronounced.
Also position the neck as close as possible to the center line of the image.

4 Likes

it seems that when i pluck & fret with a softer touch, it goes away for the most part. it MIGHT be a setup problem but its not as bad now.

1 Like