It's never too old to start something new

This ‘office work is home work’ kick we’ve been in since March inspired me to start learning bass, what with no evening commute 'cept for coming upstairs from the basement where I’m relegated from 8 to 5. I played piano & sax as a kid, badly, and sang, so I’m familiar with reading music, though I primarily sang by ear. The bass tab concept is really intuitive, and the lesson formats are excellent. My wife is an accomplished musician, and I look forward to noodling around with her on guitar :grin:. I haven’t set my sights too high … only Tina Weymouth and Gail Anne Dorsey. (How does she play with those nails?!?)

11 Likes

Welcome aboard @stewarts
Enjoy the ride.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Welcome! Tina Weymouth has some fun ones that beginners can handle. Once you get far enough in the lessons to handle some basic string crossing, look up the tabs for This Must Be The Place. Simple repetitive bass line that uses only a few notes on only two strings (Edit: after going back and playing this after recommending it,
It is actually on 3 strings and has a string jump, but it is still fairly easy) . Playing along to your favorite music never gets old, and with bass you can have fun doing it quickly. Keep with Josh’s course and you will be noodling around with your wife better than you are probably hoping for, faster than you can imagine. Just keep playing and you will be fine!

6 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion! Other suggestions have included Psycho Killer, and that feels like it gets gnarly fast! Well, once you get through the first 20 bars… :flushed:

5 Likes

Welcome to the community @stewarts!

5 Likes

Welcome @stewarts

3 Likes

Psycho Killer is really easy too, the ending gets a little more difficult, but it is not hard, you just have to cross strings / fingers a little bit faster, but you can get the pattern down and it is doable once you get a little time under your belt.

And Welcome @stewarts

4 Likes

I keep meaning to try and learn the bass part to Girlfriend Is Better. Tina plays it on what looks and sounds like a miniMoog in the song but it would be fun on bass. Fun octave slide in there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @stewarts!

It’s great that you already know how to read music. Now all you have to do is learn the Bass Clef, which is easy to adapt from the Treble Clef. Most of the lessons in the early part of the course are taught in tab, but as you move through the course, Josh uses more and more musical notation in conjunction with the tab. I got away from playing by tab about 3/4 of the way through the course, as playing by reading musical notation is much easier IMO. However, at the beginning while you’re trying to become familiar with the fingerboard, that tab does come in handy.
Best wishes with the course.

2 Likes

could do far worse :+1:

6 Likes

Tina Weymouth is my idol. I love her!

7 Likes

You had me at Tina Weymouth…

4 Likes