It's smokin'

…here in upstate NY from candian fires. the entire area smells like a wood burning stove. hope ya’ll are safe, and break out your pandemic masks again - it helps when you have to go outside!

this was my contribution on social media today:

9 Likes

lol. Nice meme.
Interestingly, I was watching a landscape photographer in Nova Scotia this morning and he was talking about the same thing! You Complained...I Didn't Listen - YouTube
Those fires are really affecting a lot of things right now!

6 Likes

Bad downstate in Westchester & CT too.
My daughter yesterday - “Why is it yellow outside”.

Wife’s friend was hospitalized (asthma) from being outside too long yesterday.
I was breathing very heavy for about an hour after walking the pooch last night.
All schools and towns cancelled outside activities yesterday and today.

6 Likes

All outdoor caution of course. Hopefully everyone can come away heathy. I’m used to SoCal looking like that. Don’t forget to change all the air filters when the air clears. Mine always gets clogged when it’s like that. HVAC, car and cabin air. It accumulates quickly.

3 Likes

That’s what August is like this neck of the woods. Hope it’s short lived

3 Likes
8 Likes

In all seriousness if you are going to spend time outside do wear a mask. We know that prolonged exposure to smoke can be harmful.
Some firefighters from here are in Canada at the moment doing their bit. Hopefully things will calm down very soon.
We are in a quiet phase in Australia but have been told that we are to expect a full on fire season so we are basically just waiting

2 Likes

From Canada to NY to Australia and certainly to California.
These are brutal fire times.
Mask up for sure. Hope it ends soon!
Orange skies are so very eerie.

3 Likes

Growing up in the UK I was always envious of American movies with their gorgeous orange sunsets.

‘Why can’t we have sunsets like that here?’

Fast forward 40 years and you realize, oh it’s air pollution caused by vehicles etc in LA that gives it that colour!

The Donnie Creek fire North of me has burned the equivalent of twice the size of Los Angeles in May. Yeah wildfire season is going to suck this year.

4 Likes

They are doing burnoffs around Brisbane and SEQ right now to try to lessen the impact in a few months (fire is just another part of weather in Australia), so it has been a bit smoky around town.
Hopefully they will do the same down south
I was in the Rural Fire Brigade a few years ago myself and we did a lot of pre-season burning.
Sod the Greens!

4 Likes

We’re preparing for some controlled burns but it’s way too dry here at the moment

3 Likes

Give it a few days, big dump coming over from WA should be here soon

3 Likes

just a follow up to this: i woke up today (thursday) feeling really sick: nausea, headache, etc… and based on what everyone on social media is saying they also feel sick so it’s definitely smoke related. please be safe!

3 Likes

It’s like this almost every year in western Canada/USA but as soon as it happens out east, it suddenly becomes serious :laughing:

5 Likes

I bet Snoop Dogg is just fine.

6 Likes

I’m certain Willy and Kiff would be all right too:

2 Likes

https://youtu.be/5GzMx9CnhVk

5 Likes

@Barney. That’s a killer photo you got there!

3 Likes

What a drag. Here’s to hoping it’s over soon and air quality can bounce back.

2 Likes