It's that time of year again - Truss Rods on the move

For any of our newer folks out there, if you are starting to wonder why your bass plays a bit weirder lately, or you are getting more fret buzz than normal (or feel like your strings are higher than normal for our south of the equator folks) - it’s normal.

I thought I would add a post here just to remind folks that especially in the spring and autum, your neck will start to adapt to the less (autumn) or more (spring) humid conditions.

If it is feeling different, just give your truss rod a nudge…
Flatter - tighter
More curved - loosen
I remember this by the phase 'Flat Tight".

I haven’t been home for a few weeks and picked up my blue Aerodyne PJ and instantly heard buzzing around fret 7 of the E, which always tells me my neck is too straight. A quick loosening of the truss rod and back in business.

Generally does not take much, and you may need to make a few adjustments over the coming weeks. Even if you have a room with a humidifier/dehumidifier, this will still occur.

Hope this helps someone.

15 Likes

Is my action too high? Will it buff out?

16 Likes

Just loosen that truss rod, it’ll be fine.

9 Likes

“That time of year” is monthly for me. Humidity and seasons move fast here.

3 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

well, that’s one way to get the drugs out of there…

2 Likes

I thought he was looking for his pick…

4 Likes

^^ so true

3 Likes

Thanks for that.
I actually played yesterday and was like: “What? I just did a setup a month ago, why do I have fret buzz there?”.

Another setup sigh I’m not having fun with setups.

2 Likes

My 1005 has a slight buzz, and I found something to complain about. The truss cover won’t pivot far enough for me to get a wrench in. It’s not a problem wit the 204, but the G strings peg is in the way on the 5 string. I’ll have to remove it entirely. Shame, didn’t get a setup today as a result

2 Likes

FWIW out of four guitars/basses with truss rods at the headstock, 100% required removing the cover completely. So not so unusual.

4 Likes

That’s good to know, but the 204 made me hopeful. 204 is a cracking good bass for the money

2 Likes

I had to adjust my Streamer over the weekend for precisely this reason.
It’s actually playing better than ever after the setup so that’s a bonus.

On this side of the pond our humidity goes up in the Winter.
Same result in terms of jaunty neck angles though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fortunately, here in Arizona it’s dry as a bone all year round, so I don’t have to fret about such things.

5 Likes

I see what you did there :wink:

1 Like

My sense of humor is dryer than the desert in which I live :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

You can truss that she did it on purpose.

6 Likes

On what data do you bass that theory?

5 Likes

(Far too much effort for too little return that I’m not sure works, but I’m going for it.)

It was a practical application of string theory.

3 Likes

You guys are all nuts.