I've installed a .25 shim

With all the neck screws tighten I have a gap. That was not there before. Could anyone help me out with this?

1 Like

Can you zoom out a bit please I’m trying to orient myself.

1 Like

This is a picture of a piece of paper being slid into the gap between the next and body of a bolt on neck bass?

You installed a 0.25 (mm?) shim between the bass and the neck to lower the action?

Is the shim smaller than the neck pocket?

If the answer to all of the above is yes, that space is the thickness of the shim and is expected.

1 Like

yeah, if the shim is smaller than the neck pocket, then of course there’s a gap.

2 Likes

Does this help @Al1885 ? :wink:

8 Likes

are you sure that your shim is at the “back” of the neck pocket ? like where is the sticker on this picture :

I have installed a 1 mm shim on my Grabber recently and it’s so thin that there is no really visible gap, just a very small angle. Absolutly no room for a paper sheet like on your picture.

1 Like

Look she is perfect with a .25, and a .5 shim. I even cut the shim down to fit closer to the body.

I started setting up my generic Pbass. When I noticed that no matter where you are on the neck. There is no change in the notes/tone. Except when you bend the string. Could anyone please help me out of my jam?

Your strings must be touching an upper fretwire. Your shim is too high.

2 Likes

In the picture above, it does look as though the G string is being fretted by the highest fret. Unless my eyes are playing tricks, you can see the string deflecting at the fret.

1 Like

It looks to me as though all the strings are quite literally laying across every fret…what is going on here

1 Like

Er this?

2 Likes

It might be an illusion, hard to say, but in the last pic it looks like you can literally see the break angle of the strings lying across the fret.

And the angle of the neck from the shim

When you said a 0.25, you didn’t mean you used a quarter inch shim, did you? Just from that picture alone, the neck looks very angled. Need more pics to tell for sure.

1 Like

I was hoping for an answer to that earlier that I never saw.

1 Like

A quarter inch shim would be pretty funny.

2 Likes

They were. I pulled the neck off, and removed one of the shims. Now she’s damn near perfect. Thank you

1 Like

A .25° with a .5° shims. Which together is what caused my problems. Like I said I pulled the .25° shim out, and everything was great with low action.