Jack Bruce’s Playing Deep Dive

Entirely great analysis of how and why Jack Bruce played what he did when he was with Cream.

Spoiler Alert:

He started as a double bass jazz player.

This is seriously good, regardless of which genres you play.

https://youtu.be/_f975tWuhDw

2 Likes

Adding this to my watch list

1 Like

Cool. More than a few surprises in this video. Luke does a stellar job of analyzing, demo’ing, and even provides all kinds of free study materials.

2 Likes

Jack Bruce was a phenomenal, and mostly unsung bass player. I wasn’t aware he had played double bass, but that explains why he was so good on the fretless.
Thanks for posting. I don’t much care for Luke, and often ignore his emails, so I probably missed this one.

3 Likes

Glad you dug it, Pam.

I find Luke to be an earnest, affable guy. He seems to care about discovering and sharing cool bass stuff. I don’t often view his videos, but I’ve been impressed by a couple lately.

What got my attention recently were his analyses of a McCartney line and this great Jack Bruce style breakdown.

2 Likes

Yeah Luke is very knowledgeable and his videos are mostly very interesting and informative. There’s just something about him that annoys me, and I can’t put my finger on it.

1 Like

It might be that Luke’s a player but not a trained teacher.

Personally, while I find what players have to say interesting, I would rather spend my time learning something specific rather than just watching somebody shoot the shit about playing.

1 Like