Jazz - P - or PJ?

I wouldn’t say that the general sentiment is disliking P/J’s. There’s probably more P/J out there than any other configuration at this point.

3 Likes

Maybe they’ve been catching on, but for example, on YouTube, lot’s of Jazz bass videos, lot’s of P bass videos, not very many for the PJ. At least not on the same level as the two classics.

What I mean is that they have probably been the most manufactured bass style for decades. Most manufacturers make them, a lot more than make straight P basses anyway. You do see quite a few J’s but I still would wager P/J basses greatly outnumber P or J basses out in the real world.

That said, the lesson owning three of them (and one J/J) has taught me is that I don’t really like J pickups :rofl:

1 Like

I think marketing wise they are a home run.
People think they get the best of both worlds.
I know I did at first, and was sadly mistaken.
I have what I have because of the flamed maple Aerodynes I collect, and the Frank Bello bass being just so cool looking.
But I doubt I would ever seek out a P-J on purpose for it’s tonal options.

2 Likes

A Jazz is arguably far more tonally versatile than a P, even if it’s not everyone’s jam.

A P has Old School tone because it was the first-and-only electric bass back in the day, and its sound is omnipresent on classic tunes.

A P/J isn’t either one of those two, but if one’s not enamored with either a Precision or a Jazz, what difference does it make? It is its own thing.

Does that make it born of marketing? Possibly.

Or is it born of creating a tonal blend that wasn’t either a Jazz or a Precision? Possibly.

Does any of that matter to all the players who buy P/Js? If numbers made/numbers sold is any indicator, apparently not.

4 Likes

I don’t think born of marketing, but I think an easy sell to folks looking for one bass with as many options as they can get, esp if starting out, makes sense.

I do see a lot of folks playing them in the big leagues though.
Bello of course, and Gene Simmons as well.

2 Likes

@Pablo, go play a bunch of basses. All of ‘em, even if you initially think they’re not in your wheelhouse.

Life is a cabaret, man. You just never know what’s gonna ring your own personal bell until you hear it.

3 Likes

True. Many people buy with their eyes, especially starting out.

Personally, I like P/Js.

2 Likes

Yeah, I like them too.

It’s not that I dislike having the J there, it’s just that it’s clear to me which pickup is doing the heavy lifting for me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I know what you mean, Howard. But I like spicing up the blend, toward the P or the J, depending on the tuneage. :wink:

1 Like

They got me. :smile:

Gojira’s bassist uses one as well. I think Mike Inez of Alice In Chains used one for a while, too.

2 Likes

Peter Hook, Simon Gallup, lots of others. Not uncommon at all.

1 Like

That’s the plan. Up to the last few days I was only interested in humbucker type basses and now I’m really curious about the old school sound , but definitely like the updated stuff like the Aerodyne or the Marcus Miller line.

2 Likes

Both the Sire and BB734A are quite heavy, which lowers them in my book. Just so you know what my reasoning was.

1 Like

Yep that’s indeed why I sold mine.

I buy with my eyes if I know I can mod to the tone I want.
Necks don’t bug me much one vs. another.
Switching from soprano through bari sax taught me to adopt and not be ergonomically picky, lol.

2 Likes

I’m with you there. Soprano sax might have the same fingerings as bigger brethren, but it was a bitch for me. The embouchure was the thing. Hell, I could play flute a lot easier.

1 Like

Much were said about sound and tone and attitudes but for me it starts with how it feels.
Jazz basses and most PJs come in at 38mm nutwidth
P basses are 41.3mm
Stingray 43
Sterling are 38 except for the Ray34 at 43mm. The rest are narrow necks.

I love all 3 at different times. Having one each will solve that problem for sure, lol.

Sometimes you need the fast feeling Jazz profile, sometimes you wat the extra spacing of the stingrays and the other times you just want an old friend P bass profile. Mot time I’m leaning towards wider spacing because it’s just more comfortable for me plus when I switch to narrower neck it feels like a sport cars.

3 Likes

This is where I land. I don’t care for wide and/or thick necks. To me, they’re just more hassle to play for no discernible benefit. For others, they’re great, and that’s perfectly cool. Personally, I’ll take a 1.5”/38mm nut width eight days a week.

2 Likes

It changes I too, was a jazz profile follower then it changed to the appreciation of a wider profile. More importantly, my jazz basses an I have an opened relationship. I can see other basses as long as I come back to them, lol.

3 Likes