Josh playing electronic music with Soulglitch

Not only am I your trusty bass teacher, but I do indeed, actually play music in real life. :robot:

This is one of the projects I’ve been playing with lately -
https://youtu.be/WRdSpNoOE7o

Bass solo at 29:05 :stuck_out_tongue:

Electronic music is a great genre for those with severe GAS, because it results in pedalboards like this:

And still so much room for more toys… I mean pedals.

EDIT P.S. If you happen to live in the San Francisco Bay Area, we’re playing a show at the Brick and Mortar in SF on Jan 30th, here are the details if you wanna come!

23 Likes

Wow I love that. That’s some cool sound you guys produce. Downloaded all of the tracks from the homepage now, I dig it :slight_smile: Supporting electronic and post-rock music is one of my goal actually, but probably also one of the toughest styles?

I hope you make a video about your "toys"sometime :smiley:

3 Likes

Very nice, @JoshFossgreen :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I did a (horribly long) one with my last pedalboard, less synth sound oriented -

I guess it depends on what kind of “tough” you mean. Technically, I think the bass role in that music is usually pretty simple (unless you throw in overcomplicated tapping bulls**t like me :stuck_out_tongue:). The harmony isn’t too dense, and the rhythm is pretty predictable if you’re familiar with how 16th notes get syncopated in electronic music (which isn’t easy if you’re not already a 16th note killer!).

So the challenge is more about getting the right sounds and textures and stuff, at least for me.

And thanks @Jazzbass19!

4 Likes

Love the delay/reverb in your solo there.

2 Likes

Hell yeah!! Man, wish I was visiting out there, I’d come see you play live in a heartbeat. Another day, another time.

Your videos on your personal channel are the best with some of those 16th note lessons - I have to slow them down a bunch, and still not even close to nailing it, but they’re fun to learn! The tapping technique is another one I like, and want to delve into more. I’m just not into slap at all, like a lot of bass players seem to be. But tap is fun. More like quarter notes for me though :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I can’t even play bass yet, yet I want some of those :grin: the bitcrush and the one starting at 25 minute mark is totally my jam. I guess it would just be fun to play around with alone and get some cool sounds out of it.

5 Likes

Dude.

Bass re-entrance at 34:52… siiiiiiiick.
The whole thing.
What a crazy palette of sounds, bud.
Way to crush in yet another cool way.

4 Likes

You are the most conventional-looking dude in that company. Do they tease you about your on-stage outfit? Thank goodness for your 'nana tatt! :wink:

I wish I could get to one of those gigs. Love the sound.

4 Likes

Just start one yourself! Just make sure to include one of your bagpipe buddies instead of Ian Anderson there :crazy_face:

6 Likes

I didn’t get that at all. I thought your solo fit in quite well with what you guys were playing. There is a definite jazz element your solo fit right into.

It’s cool to see you playing out.

3 Likes

There’s no place for bagpipes in music. However, as I’m in the land of Iain Anderson I won’t give up on getting him involved, but if that fails my sister in law is a professional flautist… I don’t know if she can play standing on one leg or can grow a beard.

3 Likes

Ha, thanks Eric. Just self-deprecating humor, I actually like that solo and do think it fits the music well. There’s one other tapping spot in the show too.

I aim not to use any slappy tappy technique crap unless it really feels called for, which is great… until I actually decide to use it, and my chops are rusty. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Very nice Josh @JoshFossgreen,
Loved the whole thing, very Prog.
Cheers Brian :sunglasses:

2 Likes