Just a thought

I am very tentatively considering gifting someone with my new Ibanez SR300 in Sky Matte Veil as well as an Ampeg B108 amp. I want to find someone that will use it and not sell it for a quick buck. I never bonded with the Ibanez as the neck is just so thin. The Ampeg just sits cause I have several other Amos that I use. They are both as new although I did put Cobalt Flats on the Ibby. I would prefer it to be someone that is wanting to learn but does not have the ability to get decent equipment. Any suggestions on how to go about this endeavor? I really want it to mean something to someone.

5 Likes

You could look for school music programs in your community. That’s what my Eris E8s are destined for, eventually.

8 Likes

@Koldunya idea is spot on. There are also community programs for at risk youth that will be happy to pass on your previously loved equipment. One place I lived in had a program called Guitars Not Guns.

You could also give it to a friend or family member that you know would cherish it. Maybe someone that really needs an outlet at this point in time. What better gift than music.

6 Likes

One of our community radio stations is a collection point for instruments to go to the public school system’s music program. I just unloaded donated my adult son’s drum set…

5 Likes

Gifting someone an instrument is a great experience. I’ve done that a few times a year to the students. One is becoming a great player and another is becoming a great guitar player, lol.

That said, our preference changes more often than seasons, if that’s the only SR you have may be hang on it for a while longer, you may be surprised how refreshing it is to switch around the profiles and finding what you like about it.

5 Likes

I’ve donated 100s of instruments to the kids of New Orleans via a friend of mine down there who insures the at risk kids get them.
Call your local middle and high school music teachers, they may know of someone in need.

4 Likes

Funny you mention this point. I have been playing my SR more and more these day. Getting preference over higher end models. I think it just seems easier to play. The lighter weight is definitely a key factor and opposite to @EddieJones I really like the thin neck. Shows how all our needs could never be met by only a few models and grateful there are so many to choose from these days.

5 Likes

It’s funny how we change sometimes by playing a song or two.

4 Likes

It’s interesting. I’ve had basses with thicker neck profiles/widths/etc and thinner. I like both but prefer thinner for sure. I prefer the feel of an SR over more traditional P or J style necks for sure.

But my SBV, my current favorite bass has both a more moderate neck (that still feels great) and also a little dive compared to my TRBX. Still on top for me at the moment.

2 Likes

Coming from guitar for so long, I thought I’d prefer a shallow-depth (thin) neck.

The bass I bought for B2B had the thinnest neck (a Gretsch Junior Jet). It turned out to be unplayable for me, so I returned it to Sweetwater.

I next went with a Sire Marcus Miller U5 short scale - a modem P/J config on a jazz-style bass. Its neck is not as shallow as the Gretsch, and it is very comfortable for me to play.

Next, I got a Sterling short scale for its distinctive Stingray voice. Its neck is a lot thicker yet than the Sire, and it’s very, very comfortable for me to play.

For a long scale, I got a Sire Marcus Miller M5. It is definitely a modern style bass. Its neck depth is thinner than my other basses, with a 12” fretboard radius. It has proved to be comfortable and quite playable (for a long scale) for me.

The final addition to my stable is my Mayones Jabba Mala 4. It has a true Jazz bass neck (thicker) depth and fretboard radius, and therein lies the surprise: Without a doubt, it is THE most comfortable and playable bass I own, have owned, have ever played. And I’ve auditioned a lot of brands/models over the years. Too many to recall.

I’ve never been a Fender/Squier guy. None I’ve played have ever spoken to me favorably. It is what it is.

The point is: you just never know which kissed frog in the chain will be The One.

4 Likes