Just picked up a new bass ( that I don’t need)

I don’t beleive there is. I pick it up and play it from time to time, it’s fine. But when I am doing my structured practice, some of which is fretboard memorization excercises, I just don’t want the extra string. Of course I could do it on the 5 string and get it overwith, but my own personal preference is to get it done on the 4 string. Nothing wrong with the other way at all, I just want to finish what I started. All too often I don’t, so this is a practice in more then just bass, life skills as well :joy::joy::joy: :thinking::thinking:. :joy::joy::joy::joy::crazy_face:

5 Likes

Yes, you use the low 4 strings of a 5 string set. I have .135/.105/.085/.065 rounds on it now.

It’s an easy conversion. Basically you file out the nut to accommodate the larger strings, and depending on the bass you may want to change out bridge saddles. I lowered my bridge a bit too, but that’s optional, and on my Warwick it was trivial so I just did it.

Basically it becomes a 5 string without a G string. Which works out nicely for me.

5 Likes

I have two Fenders, an American P bass and a Mexican (Flea Signature) Jazz bass. Put some flatwound strings on the p bass and now they’re very different beasts and cover very different territories. Am I done?

NO.

If I had unlimited money, I’d purchase right now:

• A 5 strings bass (probably a Music Man Stingray, but I’ve been eyeing some German made Warwicks and some Dingwalls recently);
  • A fretless bass (liked the Marcus Miller one);
  • An active Jazz Bass with maple fretboard for slapping (that sonic grey Fender looks delicious);
  • Why not a 6 string bass just because?
  • An upright bass :smiley:
8 Likes

Nice list… :slight_smile: :guitar:

I recently acquired a combination of those two items: a 5 string fretless. It’s my “go-to” bass now.

5 Likes

Yes, we have already established that your fingers are longer than mine. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :laughing:

I just put up a 5-string fretless for sale…

4 Likes

Maybe @gabriel would be interested in your 5 string fretless @peterhuppertz

5 Likes

I think @gabriel is looking in a different market segment than where my 5 string fretless lives in.
On top of that, Berlin is one hell of a commute. :wink:

5 Likes

I haven’t started playing yet and I already and 2 1/2 basses with a 3rd coming at the end of June (Steinberger Spirit XT-2).

4 Likes

Yeah, you fit in well here.

5 Likes

How do you own 1/2 a Bass? :slightly_smiling_face:

I hope you are signed up for the Beginner to Badass Course.
You will not find a better course out there for beginners.

4 Likes

I was wondering that too. I can’t wait to see the explanation. :smiley_cat:

3 Likes

@PamPurrs and @Celticstar , the “1/2 bass” he’s referring to is a P-bass he’s currently building and working on . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

Oh DUH! :roll_eyes:

Thanks Joe @Jazzbass19

5 Likes

My daughter counts my U-bass uke a ‘half bass’.

5 Likes

I am signed up for it but haven’t had the time to start yet. As for half a bass, I’m building a P-bass. The body is painted and neck is on, but I’m waiting for a pickguard and new pickups.

5 Likes

I can see that.
There are several U-Bass players in the jam sessions I run.
Is it a KALA?

3 Likes

Are you building from a kit? If so, where did you get it? I want to try building my own bass as well.

3 Likes

Indeed, loads of fun, ‘Crazy’ good tone that you can’t really get from other basses.

I did two versions of a cover, one with it, one with a J bazz here…

3 Likes

Sounds like you’re on the right path - Just don’t put off starting B2B too long :slightly_smiling_face:
You will be playing along with @JoshFossgreen within the first few lessons which you can probably do in the first day or so.

4 Likes

No, I bought everything separately on ebay. The body is a okoume wood P-bass knockoff with a Squier P-Bass neck. The pots r P-bass and so r the bridge and tuners and knobs. I’m also getting DR black strings. At this point, it looks like the new pickguard and new pickups will be here Saturday and the strings on Friday.

4 Likes