Just Purchased

So I haven’t started my first bass lesson yet on here, but did get the recommend overall winner that Josh posted, the Yamaha TRBX304 in my favorite color (Cherry red) as well as the Fender Rumble 40 amp that was recommended.

It wont be here until Monday, but super excited about both. Has anyone used either the amp or guitar? What are your thoughts?

11 Likes

They are excellent choices. You won’t find a better starter bass, just slightly different ones. The 304 is an excellent instrument.

5 Likes

Awesome, thanks so much! I wanted a top notch starter bass, the thinner neck and tone of this bass in several videos, as well as the body I found attractive, so I figured, I’d go with it
I’m glad to hear some encouragement behind the decision from a real life person and not someone being paid to write a review :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The Rumble 40 is a fine amp. It will serve you well.

5 Likes

Thanks Mike! I personally like that it has a line out, so it would suit the needs of any gig down the road, big or small (if I hopefully keep at it).

5 Likes

Oh yes, it would. But it won’t, because you will have upgraded it a number of times by then :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

I’m not familiar with your bass, but I do have the same amp, a Fender Rumble 40, and I am very happy with it.
At some point you might utilize the line out on the amp (I saw that you have a background running sound from the introduce yourself thread.)

5 Likes

@StevFargan I do have a number of years running sound. I have some basics down on the drums too as I use to work with my daughter when she first got acclimated, so I learned some basic beats. I prefer to run instruments from a line out than using a microphone. I’ve learned that when you limit stage sound (especially when bands use in ears), it limits a lot of issues such as feedback. It also increases the quality of the overall sound from an audience perspective.
Its more important what the audience hears, rather than what a musician’s amp sounds like on stage. A good musicians sounds good no matter what. An amp’s output on stage can’t put talent into any instrument lol

5 Likes

@MC-Canadastan this is probably true. At some point I’ll probably go ampless with one of those fancy pedals. I’ve heard pedals that sound just as good as any amps out there! I’ve carried enough drums and P.A.s the last 10 years, I don’t mind carrying just a guitar an pedal lol

7 Likes

I have the Yamaha TRBX304 and did the course with it. It is an excellent Bass to start on and will serve you very well, even beyond the course.

But I have to correct you right there: the color is candy apple red. The most excellent color for this bass.

One tip: always unplug the cable from the Bass after playing. It will eat your battery very fast otherwise.

4 Likes

Fender practice bass amps have mostly been great in my experience. I still use mine. Good choice.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forums, @tyler.garretson! You will find many Yamaha TRBX and Fender Rumble fans here. Good luck on your bass journey!

5 Likes

i have a TRBX174 and a rumble 40 and they have both been great - while a very basic bass i do find yamaha build quality even on a cheap bass is excellent. i have yet to gig but for home practice the 40 has also been excellent - it sounds like real thumpy bass, not tinny or shallow like with smaller speaker cone sizes.

4 Likes

Great choices.
I can’t wait to see how long it takes for you to get the GAS/upgrade bug.
It’s one of my favorite pasttimes here on the forum. :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

I have the Rumble 40. Easy to use and deceptively light. I jam in a church once a week (playing rock/punk) mainly with up to 2 drummers and 5 guitarists and it holds it own in terms of volume.

2 Likes

I have the Rumble 40 and love it. I can’t believe how light it is compared to old school bass amps of comparable sound.

I do not have the TRBX304, but I went through the course with an old, low-end Yamaha, and treated myself to a higher-end Yammie as a graduation present. I am a BIG Yamaha fan. I am sure you are going to be happy.

If you don’t mind me asking, where did you buy from?

3 Likes

@tyler.garretson don’t let the GAS powers that be know that you’re already suffering from logic. They’re counting on your never ending gear journey!!!
Seriously though, congrats on some solid gear and good perspective. It will all serve you well. Welcome!!

3 Likes

Yeah, it’ll happen. My path was TRBX304 for the course → loved it a lot, upgraded to TRBX604, which was my main bass for the next three years; natural path for him too :rofl:

4 Likes

Sweetwater. I get big discounts through them as my daughters God Father runs a page called My Drumset that has over 30k members and he sells a discount card. His site drives a lot of traffic to them. He gets everything for 5% above cost, since my daughter is his God Daughter, they give me big discounts too. She’s been playing drums since she was 5, she’s on her 4th drumset but we’ve upgraded that thing left and right. Plus she has a beautiful kit at home with octobahns and all the bells and whistles. I’m right now in the process of upgrading the PA I use for her band. Just bought some 15" 2500 watt powered Turbosound mains (Saved hundreds off their retail price) and waiting for the subs to become available.

5 Likes

I have the Rumble 40 which I use for pub gigs, alongside 2 acoustic guitars miked up, a cajon player and vocals, it stands up very well sound wise even when you approach max, and thats my SG thumping through it. Super light as well, but for bigger venues the Katana 210 comes out. You won’t go wrong with the Rumble, ok for home as well though I prefer the cube for portability at home. Congrats and good luck.

5 Likes