Keeping my bass in the basement

With Christmas coming, my practice room has been filled with trees and presents. I’m thinking about moving my bass and amp to my unfinished basement. Has no heat or a/c. Would being in a cold basement be bad for it and/or the amp?

1 Like

If it was me, I’d put the tree in the basement, but that’s just me. I’m kind of a grinch LOL

1 Like

Same here @PamPurrs, I can’t wait till the 26th, Christmas gift giving is for kids anyway as far as I’m concerned.
And @Gadget, I’d avoid the basement. I had a minor issue with a guitar I stored down there. It was there longer then it should’ve been and some of the chrome on the strap buttons got a ring of rust around it, and some rust elsewhere on it too. It was in a case but the dampness found its way in and this was a finished basement too. If its just till Xmas is over, I doubt you’d have a major problem if you cover it, but I know I wouldn’t do that again.

2 Likes

Christmas is the only holiday my wife really cares about, so if the tree goes to the basement I’ll be going with it. I really like sleeping in a warm, soft bed.
We have a dehumidifier down there and it’s in a hard case. Have to give it some thought.

2 Likes

@Gadget You probably won’t get a definitive answer on BassBuzz. As nobody is going to want to tell you, “Yes, it’ll be fine.” and then have it not be. There are too many variables.

I did a quick search and found this…

The safe humidity level for guitars is 40-55% but 40-60% is also acceptable. Taylor guitars recommend 45-55% but anywhere within this region should be fine – just keep an eye on it. The safe temperature for guitars is 21-25 C or 70-75 F.

Good luck staying out of the basement.

2 Likes