Kit Bass Builds

Nice, @Mac! It’s funny, before I started to play bass and spend oodles of time studying bass manufacturers and models on the web, when someone said: “Harley”, I would think of Harley-Davidson and their motorcycles. Now, when someone says “Harley”, I think of Harley Bentons :joy:

So, I always have to do a double-take when Mac talks about a Harley… but, as long as you don’t try to change the oil on your bass, all is good, I guess :grin:d

6 Likes

Thank you @Mike_NL

I’d never even thought of the Harley Benton basses lol :joy:
Only one type of Harley here @joergkutter although hopefully it’ll be gone quick :pray:t2:

2 Likes

What scale neck is that?

2 Likes

34”

1 Like

Very nice job on the bass.
Looks pretty sweet.

Are you actually making money on the build, or are you selling it for your cost?
Do we have a new luthier on this site, what do ya say Mac?

They go for around what I pay for the kits. It’s more a therapy thing for me but I do enjoy making them.
I might even make one to keep once I’ve finished the upgrades to the Artist guitars P bass I’m upgrading to sell lol

2 Likes

Yeah, I could see doing that for fun, and therapy, and just to help out others get hands on a bass. Especially if they are wanting upgraded pick ups and electronics, maybe paint job, etc… I do bet it is fun.

How much are the kits? Do you get ones with the Block Headstocks and you have to cut your own, or do they come complete?
Same with body, did you get the one that is just a big block, or did you get the body already cut and sanded?

1 Like

I’ve bought both types of headstock kits . Not a drama with either.
I’m paying around $250 for 5 string kits and $180-$200 for 4 string.
Then there’s the sandpaper and oils/stains

1 Like

Still, if you can do that, and recoup the total cost plus ship, and for any supplies, like Sandpaper and stains, paints if they ever want painted, etc…
if you can do that and break even, hell yeah, that is better than any hour with any phD and any meds they would give you. Well, not every med, but most. lol.

Yeah, I would love to do that, but I would need to have beople that want me to make me a bass, I don’t really think they would sell on Offer Up for $240 or so, with all the good deals on there. A friends and Family thing would work.

Now, if ever I could trick them out with stand ot Pre-amp and pick ups and get some bad ass graphic arts on them (i have artist friends, tattoo machines and air brushes are very similar, so I am told. My buddy airbrushed before he tattooed, back around 35 years ago, been tattooing for 33 years now.
But if you (I, or anybody) could build them up, and trick them out, and get word out, and get some nice sounding instruments, to stand behind the word that spread, hmmm then maybe there is a little money to be made.

I am not talking Sell the farm and buy a factory, cuz Daddys come home type money, just the type that pays for a new bass, or amp, or pedal every once in a while.
Plus you can start to upgrade hardware, and add zero fret, and really trick them out, put your name on it, and still make a modest little bit of money to put into the Bass Fund. LOL

What fun it would be tho, I have yet to build one of those, but I do want to.

So they have any SS DIY kits out there?

1 Like

Can verify airbrushes are easy to use. Like spray paint, but precise.

2 Likes

Not seen any . We have the Haze ones and Pitbull guitars although there may be others.
The guys at Pitbull are really good to deal with

1 Like

Now that is interesting as I’ve got a design I need putting on a Harley rear fender I will be modifying this coming winter

3 Likes

I’ve started with 80 grit, then 120 grit, next 180 grit, and last with the mouse sander is 240 grit sandpaper. Then I’m going to sand by hand up to 3000 grit. I’m hoping to apply the prestain tonight. Since I’ve bought oil based ebony stain.

2 Likes

As I mentioned to you last week. Please post this to the project bass thread so we keep all this stuff in the same place. Cheers.

2 Likes

Hail @EvilGenius -
Moved the Kit Bass Build to the very handy “Kit Bass Builds” thread here.
As you were.

2 Likes

I figured out how to upload to project basses. But, thank you anyway for your help.

I believe that airbrush is the best way to get a good professional looking finish. There’s just one problem with your idea. I don’t have an airbrush setup. I don’t even the aerosol airbrush. I have 3 half pints of prestain, ebony stain, and polyurethane plus foam brushes. I’ve had to use the handle of one of the foam brushes. To stir the prestain, and ebony stain. Because, I forgot to buy paint sticks.

Does anyone know of a company producing a 6 string fretless kit? I have a custom order in with Pango Guitars. It was supposed to be a 60 day turn around. I’m about 90 days in, and they havent even confirmed if they even started work on it. I’m considering cancelling the order.