Knob on new Fender. This is not right, right?

Or the plastic “This is what the knobs do” cards :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep, while I was there I went ahead and removed the volume knob and loosened up the pickup switcher as well, so that I could remove all the leftover foil from underneath

Beginner to luthier :slight_smile:

3 Likes

By the way another thing I’ve noticed is that I get some slight noise when my fingers touch the exposed metal parts of the pickups. I assume this is expected and normal, right? (This has not been an issue with my Ibanez, because its pickups don’t have exposed parts.)

Interested to hear what others have to say about the noise when touching pickup poles.

I’m a beginner so feel free to ignore or correct me!

I got a £66 Harley Benton PB-Shorty Bass. And amongst other electrical issues, I had the same one you mention. Lots of electrical noise through the amp when I touched the poles. Painting the poles with clear nail varnish stopped it. Then I swapped out the pickups because the original ones were microphonic as well. The new pickups don’t have the same problem… no noise at all when I touch the poles.

I think it is a grounding problem on the poles… but interested to hear what others say.

1 Like

Here’s a video of the pickup noise. You might need to turn the volume all the way up and use headphones.

It’s not the end of the world, but it’s noticeable. Goes away if I dial the treble down (middle part of the video).

1 Like

I don’t think you have anything to worry about, @akos . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

1 Like

I think you are all good. NICE bass and great tone indeed.
Remember, you have a warranty. Anything you think isnt right, make a list and call Fender and ask.

1 Like