Knob on new Fender. This is not right, right?

2 Likes

I’m going to say, No. Knobs should never wiggle like that.

4 Likes

Maybe the nut that holds the pot in place needs to be tightened. If that’s not it, the pot itself is probably broken.

4 Likes

it’s not tightened up properly underneath the pickguard. Really easy fix apart from the faff of having to take the strings off but it should never leave Fender like that.

3 Likes

Thanks. I think I’m just going to return it. Taking it apart might void the warranty and then I neither have money nor a working bass.

5 Likes

Is that Duff McKagan bass?

3 Likes

Yep

3 Likes

Man I’m so jelly :smiley:

2 Likes

You can have it if you want… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Nah, my LTD is very similar, but I do plan on buying it sometime down the road. I want another P/J and Duff looks like a perfect candidate for roundwounds with it’s hotter pickups. Since my LTD is more vintage voiced I’d put flats on it so I never have to bother with string replacement.

4 Likes

If you just got it, it’s the best choice. They could also probably fix it for you at the store and not void anything. Really just seems like a loose nut.

4 Likes

By the way I am 99% certain this is a returned item that they sold to me at full price. It’s been out of stock for quite a while, scheduled to be back in stock sometime in April. I’d been checking the website regularly to see what’s up, and one day bam, it was back in stock, and I bought it immediately. I assume it was suddenly back in stock because someone returned this one, and then they sold it to me at full price.

I’m not going to name the website here, but if anyone wants to know where not to buy a Fender Duff McKagan Deluxe P Bass in the near future (you might end up receiving mine), then I can tell you in private.

3 Likes

this is probably a very easy fix, and you would not void any warranties.
A small screwdriver should take the knob off and you can see if the nut underneath is loose, whcih is probably the issue, if it isn’t, take it back and let them fix it or keep it

3 Likes

Does it rhyme with Fitaur Tenter? :rofl:

Seriously though, you dropped quite a bit of money on that bass, it should be in perfect working order. Maybe it is just a ‘quick fix’ but I wouldn’t care. Any requirement more than a setup for a bass over $1,000 is way out of bounds. I would send it back, too.

2 Likes

I’d try to fix it, out of laziness. Easier than sending it back :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip. After removing the knob I was able to tighten it from the outside, without having to take off the pick guard and everything.

Hopefully it’s going to stay put now… If this was not enough then I’m going to return it.

7 Likes

Little things like this happen. I’d return it for an actual defect, but a loose nut? Might have even loosened in shipping.

However your other worry that they shipped you a return is a little more concerning, if there’s defects.

4 Likes

Hopefully I’m just overthinking it and there’s no more surprises left. I’d love to keep it, because it’s an awesome bass. I absolutely love the tone.

5 Likes

As long as the shaft is sturdy now after tightening the nut, you’re fine. Enjoy playing it.

3 Likes

Quite often, you’ll have to remove the knobs and unscrew the pots anyway just to get rid of the plastic foil manufacturers put on the scratch plates :sweat_smile:

2 Likes