Lace pickups

Just been browsing the replacement pickups available here in Australia for the Ray4 and dropped on a company called Lace who I believe are based in California.
Having never heard of them before I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of their products?

2 Likes

They’ve been around a good while and have a good reputation.
I know them only because when I worked at a guitar shop, the Fender Jeff Beck custom strat came with stock Lace Sensor pickups.
I’ve never seen or heard them on a bass that I know of, but a very legit company.

6 Likes

I got to try these on a Fender MIJ hollowbody that has Lace P pickups and a piezo as well.
I was very impressed with the Lace Ps at least on this oddball configuration.

4 Likes

Cool :sunglasses: thank you @Gio and @John_E

We seem to be very short of the usual MM replacement pickups here atm but I’ve found a retailer selling them here. I just might give them a try if I can’t nail and Aguilar down

3 Likes

Delano and Nordstand make music man replacement pickup also.
Tried to paste web site. bestbassgear.com

3 Likes

I have lace pickups on my very old Fender Stratocaster but as @Gio said I’ve never seen or heard them on a bass that I know of, but a very legit company.

4 Likes

Thanks @BigAl . I’ve been looking at those pickups after following @T_dub ’s lead and watching the Low End Lobster :lobster: stuff on YouTube but at this moment in time they are very much in short supply in Oz. I’ll be having a “chat “ with Toby before I go and do anything radical.

Interesting @Celticstar . I’ve browsed their website since the first post I made and they’re now doing quite a few bass pickups ranging from the MM ones through to Fender Jazz and P versions

2 Likes

I would give them a shot.

There are at least 25 different choices, possibly more, but anything that is from a reputable company, direct, will probably be better than import Chinese pick ups. That said, many big pick up makers, probably have some MIC in their catalog, if not alot, so it is probably a little more about brand then where it is made. Branded pick ups are backed by a good company (usually) and are well known. that said, reliable pick up builders like Lace, Kent Armstrong, Herrick, to name a few, are also great options, often at lower price, with same quality, and a more personal CS team.

I would give them a shot if they are easy to get, and affordable.

I only got Aguilar, because it was the easiest to get for me, being on Amazon, and in stock. This was the first part of Covid, when shipping from everywhere went crazy, before they figured it all out. so it was by far the easiest.

I do love it, but there are so many others I would love to try as well.
I never heard of Lace, but they are now on that list.

1 Like

Thank you @T_dub .
I’ve been scouring Australia since you pointed me in the direction of Lobster and to be honest we are really short of most of the known brands over here atm. Prices are all around the $250 aud unless I go Chinese ( which seems pointless) and although I could get one from the USA postage and import charges really kill that option.
I should get delivery of my Ray4 today ( they’ve just rung me) so I’ll have a play for a week or so and then if suited make a purchase

1 Like

I remember them being quite big in the 90s and 00s for a certain guitar sound. Well respected. Haven’t heard much about them since then and didn’t even know they did bass pickups. However, as long as it is the original company and not someone buying brand rights and putting out lower quality stuff under the brand or something like that then I bet they are good. I’d expect a bit of a different sound than Fender pickups though of course.

1 Like

Thanks @JT
It’s for a Stingray so I’m not going for the fender sound more a quality thick bass sound.
I never realised how complex you can make the whole pickup/ preamp thing if you want to :scream:
The great thing is ( apart from the headache)all the investigations is really a great distraction from real life :joy:

2 Likes