Left handed bass instruments (lefty bass)

Edited on 22 Oct. 2022:
I deleted this post with the second half of the list of left handed basses, since we now have a spreadsheet of that list which can be updated more easily. Please check the first post of this thread for more information.

3 Likes

This is great stuff! My sister is a lefty and I’ve seen her struggle in a right hand world all our lives. I feel bad that the selection of basses and guitars for lefties is so limited.

1 Like

That’s some impressive work you put in there, Never, thank you.

After a lot of thought, I opted for a left-handed bass (despite being pretty ambidextrous) largely because I’ve spent my 55 years "air bass"ing as a leftie, but also because the fingers on that hand aren’t as mangled as those on the left (lifetime of martial arts will do that to a person).

With no left-handed basses in stock near me, I went to the interwebz, and found Thomann’s site. Josh’s review of cheap basses (and one by Dave Navarro) convinced me that I like the overall sound of the Harley Bentons at this price range. Ordered a very inexpensive one from Thomann… and am spending half the price again in shipping. I’d pay more if need be, but as a starter instrument, the Harleys seem to punch well above their weight class in both quality and overall sound.

Now, I just need to learn how to play this thing…

2 Likes

@PamPurrs Thanks, and best wishes to your sister (although I’m sure she has long ago made her adjustments to our right-handed world). :slightly_smiling_face: It is frustrating to see great bass models being discussed here in the Bassbuzz forums, and knowing that many aren’t available in left handed versions, but I don’t want to beat that horse to death. I hope the lists I’ve compiled might help another lefty. And of course, left handed stock and offerings will change, and there’s always the used market. It’s true that left handers could have chosen to play right handed, but that’s just not for everyone, so we who do it LH just have to deal with it.

@Gyffes Welcome to the forums, and thanks for posting your experience. I’m sure your Harley Benton will do well for you as a beginner. You can search the forums for advice for beginners, and also please consider taking the Beginner to Badass (B2B as we call it) course; it’s really helpful, and most agree it is the best of what’s out there! Josh is a great teacher.

1 Like

I’m not interested in any left handed equipment for myself, but this is a very generous contribution to members who are . . . as well as to our Forums, @Never2Late . . . :slight_smile:

Thank you for your efforts!

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes

Thank you, Joe!

2 Likes

Jonny Dibble has just put this video up. showing his ‘top 10’ lefty offering brands by [pickup] diversity, color, and sheer number of options. Nothing new here, but worth a quick look if you’re a lefty (and he’s not far off the mark, IMO).

2 Likes

Love this thread…will help keep my hopes reigned in maybe? I didn’t see this one in your list though: Epiphone Jack Casady Artist Series Signature Bass Left-handed - Metallic Gold | Sweetwater

1 Like

@cbaray Interesting!
As I’ve done with all the bass guitar websites, I tried checking the Epiphone website (again), which does show the Jack Casady model as one in their bass collection, but when I viewed the page for it and the other basses offered, all show availability as only right handed. Maybe they have LH basses, but there is no search function at epiphone.com to find out, and the Gibson Support FAQ at the site has no mention of left handed availability.

It’s great that Sweetwater has the Metallic Gold as a LH model, though. I’ll add it to my list.

2 Likes

I just posted this in another thread, "Thumb Rest Best Practices."
In case any lefties want a thumb rest to add to a Fender Jazz or Precision bass, here’s a company that makes some for LH models (for thumb rest that attach to a pick guard): The Thumb Spot (page “For Lefties”). This company also offers two “universal” type thumb rails (“UniRail” and “5thRail”) on the same page, which attach with adhesive, for other basses.

Zero Mod also makes thumb rests that attach using screws already there for the pick guard, and maybe pickups in one case (check “Models” and “Special Order”). Some look like they’d work okay on a left hand bass, depending upon the brand and model, and many are for brands other than Fender. I suppose they might make a specific LH thumb rest by special order, but you’d need to ask them. Zero Mod items seem more expensive than those at Thumb Spot, though. You be the judge.

Just FYI! :grin:

3 Likes

This is an extraordinary thread! I’m in awe of the labour that has gone into this. Could I offer to create a live/editable google docs spreadsheet based on this data? May be easier for contributors to keep up to date over time. Many hands make light work. Let me know if that would be helpful to you. Cheers!

P.S., Upton in the US produces lefty uprights:

:heart_eyes:

Please refer back to the updated first post in this thread, where I’ve put a link to a Google Sheet with the left-handed basses listed in posts 13 and 40 in this thread. We will try to keep it updated as time allows. Eventually, I will probably delete posts 13 and 40 and only use the spreadsheet, to avoid confusion.

1 Like

Edited on 22 Oct. 2022 to add: I have added two new sheets to the original list of left handed basses. One, “Discontinued Models,” shows models which were originally on my list, but have been discontinued (or at least no longer appear on the company’s website). The other I am calling “Try B4 U Buy - Stores” which is a list of brick and mortar stores where left handed players can try left handed basses.

I also “froze” the left columns on all these sheets, hoping it helps those without wide screens to view details while checking models.

Oh, thank you! Great ideas. I’ll take a peek. I got a Google notification that you were tinkering, but I didn’t realize it was a substantial addition. :star_struck:

Hi @cg_postbunk, yes, I was going to message you and @Glitch, but forgot to do so before posting here. I think we may have discussed the discontinued models sheet, but I know we have not discussed the other one. BTW, how does one get Google notifications? I don’t use Google mail, if that’s how it’s done.

I receive an email whenever someone edits a sheet I own, that’s all. I don’t think I signed up for them; they just come by default to the email address I have registered with my google account.

1 Like

If anyone is interested, I’ve added some older model Yamaha basses to the list, which came in left handed orientation (unlike Yamaha’s present offerings as of today). These are on the Discontinued Model sheet of the main BBForum Lefty Basses Google sheet.

On the off-hand chance this is helpful, Reverb has a lefty Squier CV 60s P Bass for sale. Know nothing about it, not affiliated in any way, just saw it and thought I’d share…

Just dropped another basses on to my original topic :wink:. Page 31 if you wanna check.