Left handed bass instruments (lefty bass)

Edited on 20 Aug. 2022 to add:
Forum member @cg_postbunk has very kindly adapted a spreadsheet that I had made up of left handed basses by company, into a Google sheet: BBForum_Lefty_Basses - Google Sheets
This is much easier to navigate and keep up to date than doing so with the posts in this thread with the same information. Please check it out! We will try to keep it updated with current information.

Edited on 22 Oct. 2022 to add:
I have added two new sheets to the original list of left handed basses: “Discontinued Models,” shows models which were originally on my list, but have been discontinued (or at least no longer appear on the company’s website); the other I am calling “Try B4 U Buy - Stores” which is a list of brick and mortar stores where left handed players can try left handed basses.
I also “froze” the left columns on all these sheets, hoping it helps those without wide screens to view details while checking models.

We now return to my original post in this thread:
Since there really only seem to be two differences in the way left handed bass/guitar players relate to playing, vs. right handers, I thought I’d I’d start this and another thread (“Left handed bass learning resources”) with the idea of highlighting some resources and encouraging others to add more.

• The first difference is obviously the instrument; left handed players are in the minority, and fewer bass and guitars with left handed orientation are offered than for right handed players. So this thread is dedicated to posting and discussing reviews, videos, and experience of strictly left handed basses.
  • The second difference is how the left handed player learns the bass fretboard and chords, and is the topic of the other thread (which I’ve posted in the Theory category, since it has to do with learning - unless the powers-that-be feel it would be better in another category).

On to the left hand oriented basses! So far, I have found two sites which, although most of the reviews are for left handed guitars, also review left handed bass models:

• Lefty Guitarist, by one Chris in England. He generally reviews guitars by brand, and within the categories of models within each brand, also features left handed basses, if the company offers any.
  • LeftyFretz.com also offers reviews of left handed basses by brand, as well as other left hand oriented topics for players.

The potential problems with the reviews is two-fold, though: are they kept up-to-date as to what left handed basses are available, and are the reviews adequate?

Do you have any sites or videos you can recommend, or your own experiences? Please post if you do!

5 Likes

Man, thanks for this resource! I’m about to pull the trigger on a bass to get started learning but as a lefty I can’t decide which way to start learning.

The limitations of finding left handed gear certainly doesn’t help.

I feel like I could go either way, but I do see that plucking with my right hand (non dominant) could be an issue down the road.

Any advice?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, Pablo!

I’m just a beginner myself, but from what others have said in other posts in this forum, I’d say the best thing to do would go out and try both left and right handed basses in a store (whenever it’s safe to do so). See which way feels more natural to you, if you’re not sure.

I have said in another post somewhere that the argument that leftys should play right-handed guitars (because their dominant left hand would do the fretting) doesn’t make sense; if so, why wouldn’t rightys be better off playing left-handed guitars?

Just my own experience, but playing left handed, I find it easy to follow Josh’s B2B lessons (or any right handed person playing a bass in a video), because it’s a mirror image and I can follow along.

As to the availability of left handed guitars overall, it is a problem, as well as the color choices (basic black, anyone?). Some companies offer more lefty models than others. But since we are just starting, don’t worry about that. You can find some very nice basses offered in left handed orientation, even if the color isn’t your first choice. It’s just another factor to weigh in your decision.

4 Likes

Oh, forgot to mention: if you look under the “Gear” link at the top right, Josh has reviews for beginner basses and amps. I’m not sure if the models he tested all come in left-handed versions, but there usually are at least some for most companies (except maybe not any for Yamaha currently).

And investing in the Beginner to Badass (commonly abbreviated in the forums as B2B) lessons is really worth it.

2 Likes

That’s funny, I just read your comment about most righties not playing left handed gear.

I think I’m going to try lefty and see how it goes,.

I can hold it both ways and they both feel okay to me, but my hand on the fret board feels almost like a baby learning for the first time, zero strength and coordination.

But then it would be the same with picking, plucking etc, and it seems like most people agree that the picking hand is eventually where a lot of the more complex work ends up as you get further along.

Thanks for the help and guidance brother. I appreciate it.

1 Like

Quick other question man, what do you like for a decent mid range bass ($300-500)?

I’m leaning toward a Schecter Stiletto Stealth, the Ibanez SR300E, or maybe an old school type Squier type 60’s Classic Vibe Jaguar or a PJ style bass.

If the Sterling SUB Ray in a lefty came with the dual pickups I’d consider the tone as well. Kinda dig they twangy sound it has, lol.

What do you play?

1 Like

Thanks. (I am a “sister” BTW)
I guess I’d say, go with your instinct, and get a beginner model, or maybe used if you want a nicer one. Then, if it doesn’t work out, you can trade or sell it and go the other way. Or borrow a bass to try, if you have a friend that has one to spare.

I may try to research if any of the models Josh tested come in lefty versions. So far it looks like the Cort Action PJ does not.

So sorry, my apologies, lol.

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate the help.

1 Like

Btw, I just reeead how many times I referenced you as a he assuming most guys play bass, lol.

Again, I’m very sorry for my caveman’ness. :man_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

I think I’m too much of a beginner to advise anyone on which specific bass to buy, sorry! Since you mentioned Schecter, I have seen that the Schecter Stiletto comes in a left handed model, and it looks very nice, but that’s just one among those I’ve seen that appealed to me.

As a beginner, I ended up with an Ibanez Micro, left handed model is GSRM20L, in delightful black. It is short scale, actually ¾ size I think, so not for everyone. But it gets good reviews everywhere I’ve seen. Josh has the Ibanez GSR200 in his beginner list, so the left handed version of that is the GSR200L (in flat walnut), but it didn’t do well in Josh’s ratings. If you can afford a SR300E, check out ratings and reviews for it, and try it out in person. All 3 models seem to be black, and there is a left handed model SR300EBL.

It’s not an uncommon assumption, most bass players are men, so don’t stress about it. All you can do is check profiles before posting, to see if you can figure out if a person is male or female. :slightly_smiling_face:

I will say that on some other forums I’ve visited in the past, being identifiably female has sometimes been a problem, but not here at BazzBuzz. Everyone I’ve seen posting here has been nice and accepting of all.

Ibanez makes good gear at a really good price. Your bass is a good one. Ive seen reviews on it.

For sure, I appreciate it, and it’s pretty awesome to see so many more men and women pick up the bass.

It’s such a cool instrument that has been underrated for way too long.

I was able to get the miKro through Guitar Center during a 15% off sale, which brought the price down to about the same as a right handed model (another problem with left handed guitars/basses is the price). It did take 3 months to arrive, though (ordered in Dec., arrived in Mar.), but I think that was due to the coronavirus situation affecting stock.

I had also ordered a Vox Amplug2 for Bass from my local independent music store, and that took 2 months to arrive - just got it two days ago. Same stocking issue due to virus.

Edited on 22 Oct. 2022:
I deleted this post with the first part of the list of left handed basses (last updated on 23 Jan. 2022), since we now have a spreadsheet of that list which can be updated more easily. Please check the first post in this thread for any new information.

5 Likes

Edited on 22 Oct. 2022: There is now a spreadsheet for the list of left handed basses, so I deleted this post as it was no longer relevant.

3 Likes

Thank you, @Never2Late . . . :slight_smile:

Posts like this are informative and really help our Forums!

Great work . . . :+1:

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

Thanks!
I just thought I’d check it all out, ended up with a long list, so wanted other lefties to benefit. When I see others mention a bass in other threads, I make a note and check to see if that brand makes left handed models.

It’s tough when you’re reading a thread, and people are going on and on about how great a brand or model is, but you know it doesn’t come in a left handed version.
C’est la vie, I guess! :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Edited on 22 Oct. 2022: There is now a spreadsheet for the list of left handed basses, so I deleted this post as it was no longer relevant.

4 Likes

Sandberg has all their models available as lefties, without price adaptation :blush:
“Sandberg Guitars | Configurator” https://configurator.sandberg-guitars.de

2 Likes

Thank you Krescht. I had seen that, and also several others that do custom work and offer LH models as an option (just got through looking at Surh basses). Sometimes it’s hard to find on the maker’s sites. I am torn about putting custom bass brands in the list, but will probably add them in their own post, after I get through the other “on the shelf” models this weekend.