Left handed bass instruments (lefty bass)

Price wise, the Sandberg basses in the configurator might be considered as standard models… Except for the wait :wink:
They’re not cheap, but they’re made in Germany.

2 Likes

Wow, @Never2Late - great job putting the list together. :+1:

I had no idea that there were so many lefty basses available.

I’m another lefty who plays righty, in part because when I made my decision 50 years ago there were no left-handed basses. Anyone who wanted one had to convert a right-handed bass by flipping the nut and reversing the strings.

Trivia: One of the reasons Paul McCartney used a Hofner violin bass was because its symmetrical shape made for a nice looking left-hand conversion.

Of course, once the Beatles became famous and Hofner was selling violin basses as fast as they could make them they introduced a left-handed model.

2 Likes

No doubt more left handed models are being made now, compared to 50 years ago. The next issue is being able to find a specific brand/model in stores to try them out! :roll_eyes:

I think about this sometimes; what happens if you see a bass is offered in lefty orientation, and go to a brick and mortar store to give it a whirl, but they only have a righty (which is likely the typical scenario 999 times out of a thousand)? Do you just get an idea of weight and feel? Do you try to play it upside down, to get an idea of sound?

2 Likes

Well, unless you’re someplace with exceptional choice, you’ll end up in the same situation for “classical” basses as well :man_shrugging:
You’ll easily find the classic models, but once you stray of that path, you’ll be up to orders to get what you want.

@spidey9, what do you think of this account of Paul and his first Höfner? It seems it was an actual left handed model.

There are reports but no photos of McCartney playing Sutcliffe’s Hofner President bass – without re-stringing! – and apparently the re-worked Rosetti had finally disintegrated at this point, so McCartney found himself in Hamburg’s Steinway Musichaus one day. “I remember going along there, and there was this bass which was quite cheap. I couldn’t afford a Fender. Fenders even then seemed to be about £100. All I could really afford was about £30 . . . so for about £30 I found this Hofner violin bass. And to me it seemed like, because I was left-handed, it looked less daft because it was symmetrical. Didn’t look as bad as a cutaway which was the wrong way. So I got into that.” As left-handed instruments were rarely seen hanging on shop walls at that time, some researchers contend McCartney merely saw a right-handed model and ordered a lefty.

(my underlining)
According to the same website:

1960: Hofner Club 40 hollow-body electric (vintage unknown): After buying a Rickenbacker, Lennon loaned this guitar to McCartney. He still had his Rosetti at this time, but apparently was using the Club 40, not just posing with it, as this photo from the first Hamburg trip suggests it was actually restrung lefty. Lennon soon sold this guitar.

The quote referenced above may have been my source.

Also, I have seen photos of the early Beatles (possibly the one referenced above) in which Paul was clearly using a right-handed Hofner, presumably with the strings reversed.

Who knows - it was a long time ago. :smiley:

1 Like

Edited on 22 Oct. 2022: There is now a spreadsheet for the list of left handed basses, so I deleted this post as it was no longer relevant.

They are still in business. If you go into the ‘shop’ part of the site, you can order L/H in many Rockbass and Teambuilt models (and of course custom shop will build anything L/H). For example:

The only bad news is the price (although there’s no uplift for L/H) and the wait.

Thanks for the info! Guess I didn’t delve deeply enough on their website. I’ll amend the post shortly.

1 Like

Yeah, this is a perennial bummer especially given the high praise which Yamaha basses receive from this forum and elsewhere.

1 Like

As I promise. Here are pics and short description of all my basses.

Harley Benton PB-20BK short scale

• 30’ scale bass, the body is even smaller then Stratocaster one. Nothing special here but for 85£ brand new it’s surprisingly good.

Ibanez SR300GL

• birthday present from my Mrs. Entry level of Ibanez basses I would say. Sounds good, plays really nice.

Ibanez SR600

• better wood, better build quality then previous one. Really fast neck. Bartolini mk1 pickups. One of my favourite ones

Markus Miller Sire M2
-modern 5 strings bass. I’ve done fret job on her, had sharp edges on couple of frets. Now plays lovely and I like her more them M5

Markus Miller Sire M5

• higher version of M series of Sire. Slightly different shape then M2, Markus Miller pre amp and pickups ( all Sire basses I own has same pre amp)

Spector Legend Classic

• fastest neck of all my basses. Entry level of Spector basses but feels and plays like more expensive ones

Quincy bass. Copy of Warwick Corvette refinished in blue

• bought on ebay for 70£. Changed all electronics and pups, refinished her in blue color. Here’s the link:

Harley Benton JB-20 VT series

• this bass is heavy as hell!!! Vintage series. Another present from my Mrs

Warwick Rockbass Corvette refinished in green

• 2005 Warwick Rockbass. Refinished in green.

Markus Miller Sire V3

• probably my most played bass. It’s light, has fast satin finish jazz neck with rounded edges and sounds awesome. One of my favourite ones

Markuss Miller P7
-very versatile bass with PJ configuration. Same pre amp, rounded edges etc

Squier P bass 1996
-classic Precision bass by Squier/Fender. Has Seymour Duncan Quater pounder pickup.

“Popbass” cheap bass from FB market
-bought it on FB market for 60£. Changed pickup, made custom scratchplate and done fret levelling. Chunky Pbass neck

Harley Benton PB-50
-quite heavy bass but plays and sounds really nice for a price of 99£. From my Mrs as well

Relevation RPB65
-had a couple of sharp edges (done), I’ve dropped Seymour Duncan quarter ponder pickup on it and flats strings

Esp Ltd B206
-also quite haevy bass but that’s pretty normal with 6 strings basses. Sounds good and plays really nice

I repair guitar and basses so most of them has some mods on it like different pickups, schratchplates, fret job, different refinish…if someone would like to know more about every single bass, let me know :wink:

A little update. A few new basses added to my collection so here they are.

Harley Benton PB-20 SBK
-a lot of work I had to put in, mostly frets. It came with really sharp ones. Now it’s ok and doesn’t sound to bad.

Harley Benton MB-4 SBK
-another HB. Came with very high action, like 3.5 mm on 12th fret. I would say, QC is pretty bad lately on HB basses.

HB acoustic
-nice acoustic bass from FB market.

Yamaha BB614
-this bass has been in transit for 8 months, lost and found :joy:. Anyway, very easy to play bass with unique pickups and sound. It’s a slap monster.

Markus Miller Sire V7 Vintage
-another Sire bass, this one is the Vintage series, same pre-amp as previous ones, maple neck and vintage bridge.

Markus Miller Sire V5
-modern Jazz bass, 24 frets, roasted maple neck, passive one. Very interesting to play.

Sterling Stingray Sub series
-Music Man Stingray, another slap monster. My go to slap bass.

Squier Standard series 2000
-My first electric guitar ever. Nothing is original except wood :wink:. Gift from my father, so has nostalgic value to me.

Ibanez V72LECE electro-acoustic guitar
-entry level Ibanez acoustic guitar. Play nice,

5 Likes

Excellent! Thanks for this. You have created a post I which I have bookmarked to show the wife in times of need :wink:

Good looking dog you have there too.

1 Like

Thanks for posting these photos and comments! You have a great collection of lefty models.

Is your Markus Miller Sire M2 a dark green, or green/blue color? If so, I like that. Maybe it’s black and is reflecting differently?

I checked to see if you had any models that are not on the list of those I’ve found, so far (as above in posts #14-15, 17-18, 26-27 or so). Although a few of the models you showed seem not to be offered currently, many are. I hadn’t known of Revelation basses, so will add them to the list shortly.

MM Sire M2 is stated blue on any website I’ve looked. But in person is green really. But under light is blue-ish😁

3 Likes

I would call that turquoise myself

1 Like

Me, too, but hard to tell unless it’s right in front of you. One of my fave colors, BTW. Just got a new pair of eyeglass frames in “Dark Aqua” - love 'em! :heart_eyes:
MODO_4215_Dark_Aqua_crop
The better to see which notes to play, right?

But, we were talking about basses, and I think this Sire M2 is perhaps one of the only ones I’ve seen in a deep aqua/turquoise, at least in a left handed model. I could also go for a dark forest green.

2 Likes

On 12 Aug. 2021, I merged the list of left handed basses, which had been broken into several separate posts, into the post with the first list. So now the list is all in one post, I think #14 in this thread.

:wink:

Another resource— if you are a lefty, your best friend in the world is Jerry Welch at Jerry’s Lefty Guitars in Sarasota, FL. I just got this lefty LsL P-bass from him. This is the 5th, possibly 6th, instrument I’ve bought, sold, or traded with him, and he’s always great to deal with.

He has a couple of more LsLs on order & is working to get lefty Suhr basses, they’re just being slow in filling the order.

Edited on 22 Oct. 2022:
I deleted this post with the second half of the list of left handed basses, since we now have a spreadsheet of that list which can be updated more easily. Please check the first post of this thread for more information.

3 Likes