Short Love

Hi @franx ,
See my response and link to a cover I did you the Mustang.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Hi @franx , Mac @Mac ,
Added a couple of photos showing the size differences between a strat, a Mustang and a P - bass.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Hello,

I am considering buying a short scale bass ( having a long scale one already ) because why not ?

Problem is… i am left handed, meaning my choices in basses just dropped by 90% :smile:

Do you guys/girls have short scaled basses to propose for a left handed bassist ( price range not above 900-1K€ ) ?

Thanks a lot,

4 Likes

I have the Mustang PJ and I really like it. As @TNKA36 said it has a smaller body and a good p bass sound. Being a Fender, it’s also easy to mod. As you can see, I’ve also decorated it a bit.

7 Likes

that’s a really good question, i can’t think of one offhand.

edit: ps, welcome to BB! go to the introduce yourself thread if you haven’t yet.

2 Likes

The inexpensive Ibanez Mikro seems to surprise most folks, comes in lefty black. Others are listed here, with short scale models indicated by this “§” symbol. Schecter, Sire, and Warwick all have relatively large offerings in left hand models.

2 Likes

it does? i did not know that. well that would be my recommendation then, great bass (if you don’t mind the scale that is).

1 Like

Thanks for the answer,

I can’t seem to find a good review for the Schecter banshee serie and i don’t really like the Warwick :frowning_face:

For Sire, there is only the U5 that is still kinda low ranged price/equipement but it still look good ! i wish they made a premium or mid-range version of this one in short scale left handed bass !

1 Like

@TNKA36 Thank You! Great cover! Your bass sounds really nice. Flatwounds? Your’s is a classic Mustang. The one I’m being offered has the PJ configuration and seems to be a little different but it is a great reference.

2 Likes

Welcome, @Alan. I hope you find your lefty shorty.

Now pop on over to the Introduce Yourself thread so the B2B family can give you a big welcome to the group?

2 Likes

@Alan, here’s a link to a Sire Marcus Miller U5 in stock at Thomann Music.

It’s a great short scale bass. Great woods, finish, build, and electronics. It plays fantastically.

You get a whole lot of value for not a lot of money.

4 Likes

@Mac The main reason I don’t like the Kay is just a tone issue. It’s great and works well but I love p-basses and my best bass is a G&L Tribute L-2000 which I really like. I think the G&L and the Mustang would make nice contrasts in tone. I don’t want three basses and I would have to pay $350 US dollars for the exchange. It currently sells new for $750 (on sale) at Sweetwater. Seems fair after doing some research and after all I exchanged a watch I never wore for the Kay.

4 Likes

For now i think this is my top choice, i will still wait and see and few days to see if there are any contenders for this bass but i kinda wanted to have a higher built. For my long scale i have a Squier 70s and i am tired of the plastic finish and plastic knobs :frowning:

3 Likes

The knobs on the Sire U5 are metal and feel high-end. The neck is Satin finished on the back and glossy on the fretboard. The neck edges are rolled for extra comfort. I own one of these and I’d put it and its features up against any other short scale, especially at this price point.

4 Likes

alright so i guess there’s a bunch of LH shorty’s :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Looks like this is gonna be the one then… :smiley:

So you’d say that the U5 takes the crown for the best budget short scale ( left handed bass ) and beats higher built basses?

just for my knowledge, what’s the premium or mid budget bass king if there are any ?

2 Likes

I’m not claiming the Sire U5 beats custom basses, but it does offer great features and tones at its comparatively low price point. I’ve also got a Sterling short scale that is great for the money ($100 more than the Sire U5), but I got it for its Stingray voice.

The Sire U5 is pretty unique: a versatile P/J setup in a modern Jazz guitar with a fast and comfortable C neck. Again, a WHOLE lot of value for the money.

You can always spend more, but you would need to have reasons why. Prestige? Specific woods? Specific finish, hardware, electronics, neck profile, or body shape? Those are all options available in higher-end basses. You just have to pay for them.

2 Likes

At about $2k, the Spector Bantam is phenomenal. Punchy, focused, and those curves just fit my fat belly making it so easy to play. It is on my short list.

2 Likes

yeah, i’m a stingray guy and both the SBMM and high end EBMM would get my vote.

2 Likes

Yep, I got my SBMM for the Stingray’s signature sound. Its neck is quite a bit thicker than my Sire U5’s, but still comfortable.

But the Sire U5 has an Alder (brighter tone) body versus the Sterling’s Indonesian Mahogany (darker tone) body. There’s a marked difference in weight.

They both have 1.5” nut widths and 30” scale lengths, but they feel and play differently from each other. If I could magically meld all their tones and feels into one short scale, I would.

2 Likes