Lefty, righty, ambi?

@eric.kiser still functions, thank goodness, and is actually almost not “flying” anymore. I just started playing in front of a mirror, I’m sure I’m not the first to think of this, but it does seem to help with the flying pinky, wrist down…etc.
The little bad boy functions, it sits a bit further away from my ring finger than it naturally would, but still works. Its really good at the moment in creating fret buzz!!! :joy:

3 Likes

:rofl: :joy: :rofl: Yeah, that’s frustrating but not out of the ordinary. It can be trained!

3 Likes

Honestly, being right hand dominant, I have never understood why I would want to fret with my left hand :slight_smile:

Lefties playing standard basses seem like the lucky ones to me.

4 Likes

My sentiments exactly… I am just hoping that as I advance in technique I will have to focus less on the notes I am playing and pull stay even more hooked to the rhythm

I cannot think of any advantage of a lefty bass for a lefty other than the knobs which at this point I am never touching but I see “pros” fiddling with them all the time…

2 Likes

I agree with both of these!

4 Likes

Hi! Right now I am begging you- please try a left-handed bass. I am a lefty writer and lefty musician and I can barely play a right-handed bass!
Good luck! :smile:

YMMV. Often as a right handed player I have kind of wished I played a lefty bass from the start, instead of a bass normal for my dominant hand, simply because there just has to be an advantage to using your dominant hand for fretting :slight_smile:

Josh is a lefty and does just fine with his right handed basses.

3 Likes

Once in a while that thought crosses my mind, so… what gives?

1 Like

I am ambi; there are somethings I do right handed, some left handed. Most things I do with either hand. I don’t have a dominent hand.

I play right handed; feels comfortable, see no reason to experiment with my left hand. Easier to buy and sell instruments.

4 Likes

My dad is a lefty so all of us are pretty well ambidextrous after watching him do so much with his left hand. My brothers are closer to truly ambidextrous than I am. One batted lefty in baseball and the other was a switch hitter.

We all play instruments righty. Dad doesn’t play, but one brother plays guitar and the other is learning. They both find it easier making chord shapes with their left hands. Plus the instruments are easier to find.

2 Likes

I’m a lefty, but it is all very specific to every task.
Writing, throwing a baseball or football I do lefty and can’t do well righty.
Golf, hockey, bowling, frisbee I do right handed and can’t do it well lefty.
Throwing darts, shooting a basketball and random other stuff I’m fairly ambidextrous.

When I picked up a guitar/bass for the first time right handed felt natural and left handed felt awful. So for me it never usually comes down to which way I want to learn something, one way just makes more sense to me and feels way better than the other.

4 Likes

I’m just starting out …like I’m on the second module… I mentioned earlier that I had broken my wrist five years ago (crappy St. Valentine’s day…). Broke is really more like shattered the tip of the radius . Anyway…it hurts to play the frets with my index especially . Today, I flipped my right -hand bass over and played it with my bad hand picking and the right fretting. OMG. So much easier. My right hand is holding the bass correctly. My fingers straight up, not wanting to curl over. The bad hand is picking happily. I 'm VERY right handed, so this is all a bit of a shock. Now the kicker. I’m borrowing a bass while I see if this is going to work for me. How horrible is it to play the bass upside down? I practiced on the correct string, but then practice again in the correct position. i.e. I’ll play the riff on the E string as instructed, but the will practice again on the G string because it is in the E’s spot. I doubt know. Sigh…decisions

1 Like

Edit Before I forget, Guitar Pro (and perhaps other, free software) will let you load a tab file, and then you can easily change the tuning of the strings and it will recalculate the fretting, if you decide to go upside down…

Edit 2 I would say, if you are going to play strung upside down, you should prioritize learning the fretboard and musical notation. That would make your life immeasurably easier, imo. I play a 5-string bass and have taken to learning songs in alternate tunings without changing the tuning of my instrument because I can read (not rapidly lol) notation :smiley:

1 Like

@achavez47, if you haven’t bought a bass yet you could also look at buying a left hand bass. It sounds to me like that would be the way for you to go.

1 Like

VERY interesting topic, @achavez47 . . . :slight_smile:

I threw right, but batted left and golfed right. I consider myself to be moderately ambidextrous, but I can’t write at all left handed. If I were in your place, I would seriously try out a left handed bass (strung correctly), even if I had to rent one. Especially if I was just starting out learning, as @joeike suggests.

IMHO, it would be just way too complicated to flip a right handed bass over and play upside down (although it IS possible to do as @Koldunya pointed out). :thinking:

Any way you want to look at it, if something is easier to do, feels more natural, and isn’t painful, then it should be done that way . . . :wink:

Cheers
Joe

It’s probably too late but when you are just starting out it really doesn’t matter which orientation you go with as both would feel like your weak hand anyways. It’s not about muscle but muscle memory. Both hand has significantly important job to do. Think piano it doesn’t matter what hand orientation when you are new to it you are screw either way, lol.

Speaking of drums. I’m a right handed player playing cross hand to high hat then added the extra high hat over the bass drum to play open handed style. It was much better. Then I saw Simon Phillips open handed video and I started playing that, it’s very difficult to switch that way but after rewiring my brain and build up some muscles and muscle memory I just love it. I actually setup my drums somewhat ambidextrous since it’s the eDrum I just have to add high hat control by the bass drum.

This is the video that change my drumming style.

It’s the second guessing that is the rub here. Because you really don’t know one way or the other which would be “better”. You’re just going to choose a path and stick with it. I am happy I went left handed cause I had always wondered about it (going to Suzuki guitar class with my son, I floated the idea out of playing left handed, and the teacher reminded me I am here to teach the kid, not to learn myself…I was trying to double dip.) so when I was choosing a bass, I wanted to go left handed to avoid the wondering years down the road. I probably would be just as bad/good/far along now either way. But I would have definitely gotten way too into trying other basses and wondering what If about the stock at Guitar Center. So I feel good about that too. Instead of spending time worrying about the what ifs, that time is better spent practicing probably.

I got myself a beautiful left-handed bass. It is working quite well as I “stopped” the modules for a few days so I didn’t learn anything new with the right-handed area. I can now start up again with confidence. I’ll probably just go back to the start and do a quick brush up. I also have some in person lessons at our local music academy starting on Saturday. I think the two will compliment each other nicely. OMG…I’m doing this! yeah baby.

1 Like

I’m left handed and do everything as a lefty except for playing the bass. When I went to check out basses at Guitar Center, all they had were right hand models on display. I tried some of them out and it felt so natural to be fretting with my dominant hand, and so that’s how I’ve been playing for almost a year now. I have zero regrets that I’ve chosen to do it this way.

1 Like

Count me in as a lefty who plays righty. I’ve often wondered about whether I could play left-handed. I recently had the opportunity to try a lefty guitar. Couldn’t do a thing with it… I also have two sons, one lefty, and the other righty. They both do things opposite of their dominant sides. Guess that’s the way it works sometimes.