Leland Sklar

I think I read that as a compliment, so thank you.
Actually, I set it up as a flying finger drill, and it worked wonders. So I got the tabs last Tuesday or We’d, after my lesson with Josh. I watched him play it full speed, after trying to get thru the main riff once from memmory, and thought, “no freaking way”
So I figured I would use it as a fly finger drill, doing a fingering technique for lack of a better word. It’s like when doing scales the practice of keeping your fingers fretted til the last note ( index stays down while ring frets and stays down while the pinky frets, then they lift and index goes down and stays down while the ring frets, etc…)

So I hav set this up in reverse.

After the first position on 10 and 12 when you go back to 7-8-8-7-5-7 (left out opens) I fret 7 with ring finger, then lift for open note, then I fret , 7, and 5 all together. Play 2 notes on 8, lift pinky to play a note on 7, then lift ring finger to play 5, then put ring finger down for 7 again, then lift and reposition ahile doing 2 open E”s.

I thought I would not get it. I was discussing something similar as a better way to finger a part in “take the power back” as Josh said something about my fingers being a little high off the ne k and I showed him how I was fingering it, and should I use my pinky instead of ring finger to cover 3 frets when I can do it without the pinky

He explained why he would, no, does use his pinky. So, while trying to change my fingering, and stay down on the frets seems impossible, still because it’s a song I already played and developed a finger pattern for it, my brain went crazy trying to change it.

But since I decided to learn this song with that seemingly difficult fretting pattern, it was quick and easy, and I dont even think about doing it anymore, I just do it.
And that was only a matter of days to do.
I have so much more hope moving forward, cuz sometimes watching good bass players fret and do finger patterns certain ways, I tell myself, “ ah hell, I will never be any good, I will never get my hand, Brain, muscles, everything to be able to play like that.
So this week I proved myself wrong, and this is a time when it’s GREAT to be WRONG.

If you are starting to learn this song, think about doing this finger pattern, it works well.

And it’s probably how the experts play it anyway, it’s not like I unlocked a secret or anything, I just figured out their secret this time on my own.

1 Like

It was! It’s a tough song. I’ve been working on it for a long time now and can still only consistently play it at ~70bpm (full speed is 93).

2 Likes

If , o, When I learn the rest and go for a full run thru the song, I am sure I will need to go back down below 5hat. It’s not that difficult, but, I need much work on transitions and some on fills too.