Life of a Bass

Hi. I’m looking at a Yamaha Broad Bass that is over 40 years old. It is a made in Japan model, and they have a reputation for being made like a tank.
Even so, I am not handy and don’t think I would be good at replacing parts, etc.
Condition is listed as “good”
Should I go for it, or look for something newer?

3 Likes

Welcome, @BASSMAN777jc. Glad you’re here. If you have the option to return the bass if it doesn’t suit you, go for it. If not, but you really want it, you’re going to have to take a chance and maybe take it to a good tech or luthier, if it comes to needing it. Good luck.

2 Likes

As long as the neck isn’t twisted and the truss rod isn’t maxed out, most solid body guitar repairs are easy and cheap. Go for it man, vintage instruments are awesome

4 Likes

What model is it? There were some truly stellar BB’s in the '80s, in particular the BB1200 and BB1200S.

2 Likes

BB414

3 Likes

It’s not terribly difficult to replace electronic as there are several fool prove options. As long as the most important part is ok, neck and truss rod, you are good to go.

It worths mentioning , Yamaha among a very few companies like to use unique shape pickups covers, you might want to check that first if you are not sure about electronics.

2 Likes

Easy peesee, thats P bass config.

2 Likes

This old girl is 41 and counting. The edges have some rough marks because she’s been around but it’s all there. If I were trying to piece one together I could see the frustration. You can find used bits now and again. Is anything missing on the bass you’d like to acquire?

7 Likes

I have no idea how I missed this but that’s a sweet BB1200, @Reasonably_Happy.

Man. That, the 1200S, and the 2000 were all amazing. Plus many others.

3 Likes