Lightweight machine head recommendations

Can anyone recommend some affordable lightweight tuners? The neck dive on my bass is ridiculous and I need to try doing some stuff to try and sort it out.

2 Likes

I like sperzel locking tuner, high quality and locking tuner is just convenient. Unheard of color option.

Schaller are super awesome I love the Da Vinci bass with the see through window for the gears. Their ultra light is also a great option. They offer many colors and the customer service is top notch. The owner of the company would answer your email and address your issue.

Gotoh is also another great choices so many options, colors and price range.

The best performance I’d say is the GraphTech Ratio. Sadly it only comes in black or chrome but the smoothness and the insane Ratio is unmatched
Here’s the 5 string ratio From Low B to G - 48:1, 36:1, 30:1, 20:1, 18:1 . the lowest ratio 18:1 is normally the industry standard. That’s why it’s so hard to get the E string or worse B string tune right, one wrong look it’s out of tune one way or another, lol.

3 Likes

HipShot Ultralite are my go-to. Make sure to get the domestic USA ones and not the international ones though, much higher quality (machined vs cast).

3 Likes

+1 for the Hipshot Ultra light (USA version).

Used them on a new neck for my Jazz Bass build. Very happy.

2 sizes available - 1/2" and 3/8" read the spec sheet on the website carefully to see if they’ll work for your bass.

1 Like

I like the look of them, love that pickguard too

I have Gotoh

1 Like

Gotoh are excellent too. HipShot will likely be lighter, while Gotoh will likely be better tuners.

Not sure about that.

I’ve got Gotohs on a couple of my custom acoustic guitars. They’re very good.

Still, I prefer Hipshot quality for bass.

1 Like

They are both outstanding for sure.

It’s hard to picture lighter tuners than the hipshots. For fixing neck dive they would absolutely be my #1 choice.