Lipstick pickups on a Bass VI? Is it worthwhile wiring in series?

I am more interested on thought about how a 3 lipstick uber pickup would sound vs 3 way selectable ones

Can you wire it like a Jaguar guitar or bass VI with the bank of switches?

It already has a 5 way switch, I could in theory get a jaguar or bass VI switch set, or just wire in a switch for each pickup like I did with the strangle.
What do you think 3 lipstick pickups in series all on at the same time would sound like?

Re watching the Rascal vid above, I might just put them in and see how it goes

1 Like

I just realised (watching the Rascal video) that I can easily add another switch to turn on bridge and neck pickups and depending on where the other selector switch is I can have them or all three.
Plus it will have another switch :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The three pickup Danelectro reissues have what they call a “Blowout” switch, which allows for all three pickups to be on and in series.

Here is a wiring diagram.

3 Likes

looks more complicated than I want with this.
I think an on/off switch with the neck an bridge- this will let me select both+/-middle or use the 3 way.

1 Like

I don’t have an answer for what it might sound like but I hope you do it because I want to hear how it turns out. :sunglasses::+1:

2 Likes

+1

Do it!!!

2 Likes

I was trying to get some Alnico ones but ended up ordering some ceramics.
I have some Pyramid strings coming too and I will do the swap all in one go as it is a pain to get the pickguard off- you need to remove the saddle.
I will get an on/off switch from Jaycar during the week.
I think I will simply run a connection from the bridge and neck wires to the switch which will bypass the 5 way selector and then to the volume pot.
That should allow me to use the middle pickup as well if I select the middle position.
I won’t bother with a series/parallel switch as that is more trouble than I want to go to at this point

2 Likes

I did get a lipstick to test but it ended up being a jazz size so i put it in the bridge position of a j style bass.
Sounds OK but is quieter, I think I will get another just to match and see how that goes.

2 Likes

Honestly all things being equal ceramic will probably work better for those.

1 Like

I’m really happy with the lipstick pickups, pretty diverse range. It was the first time I’ve actually wired one of my own instruments and it worked out great. Just mirrored how the original ones were installed, replacing them one at a time. There is a third wire which is just an additional ground for the chrome cover.

3 Likes

Good to hear, they look pretty much like the ones I am getting.
What make is yours and what is the button?
I put my strangle switch approximately there, I might pinch that button style for a bridge/neck on off if I do go that way.

1 Like

A Harley Benton and that’s a killswitch

1 Like

I thought it may have been an HB.
Personalised the tail :slight_smile:
Your experience certainly encourages me then.
What strings are you using?

1 Like

It’s a Gretsch chevron tailpiece, I also tried the same kind of tremolo on mine but didn’t end up using it much either, even after I put the roller style bridge on. Currently D’addario 24-84’s which I’m not a huge fan of, the harmonics aren’t quite as bright as the Fender 24-84. Experimented with La Bella 26-95 flatwounds, glass-smooth but really heavy on the bass end rather than the hybrid guitar/bass sound of lighter gauge strings. Honestly I think I liked the stock strings it shipped with most so far, one of these days I’ll message Thomann where I bought it and see if I can’t figure out what those were and order some.

2 Likes

Cool,
I went through the laBellas and liked them but they are hard to string without damaging the E and are just too expensive to be expendable.
I emailed Pyramid directly and they are sending me a set with a heavier E designed to fit the HB.
I tried to like the stock rounds but they are too bright and I am not a fan of rounds generally.
If Labella would make deep talkin flats to fit I would be happy- I emailed them, they won’t

I should add I am using it mainly as a bass but am experimenting a bit with partial chords on the higher strings, I do like the smoother, lighter tone for songs like No Excuses, but having said that it does Back in Black and Cold Gin equally as well.

2 Likes

So just now restrung with Pyramid flats and I’ve gotta say, if you’re going for that bass sound you mentioned do yourself a favor and spring for the La Bella flats. They’re $52.99 before tax and shipping but man, the quality and feel is light-years beyond these. You will have to fiddle with the E to make it fit in the tailpiece, I had to round it lightly with plyers but it will fit. I could liken these Pyramids to flat GHS Boomers, though I have three of my basses strung with them and do like them, it’s like a Ford to Ferrari disparity I promise. A 26-95 gauge will make the low E seem daunting but believe it or not it will stay snug in the nut without needing to rout it out. If you end up going for it, you will have that “woah” moment when you get your hands on them. Almost inhumanly flawless and smooth.

2 Likes

I have the Labellas on now and I love them- the trouble is that the E and to a lesser extent the A are long and the main part of the string winds onto the tuner, making it very prone to damage- I already destroyed one and am onto a 2nd, in Australia these are generally $140-160+ a pack. I was ‘lucky’ and found 2 packs for around $100 so you can see my thinking there.

2 Likes