Lithium Ion 9V rechargable batteries bass compatible?

All good.
I put them in and never had to change or recharge them since and didn’t notice any difference to a normal 9V battery.
And apparently it’s 5 months later.

4 Likes

That is impressive! I would expect them to self discharge way before…

4 Likes

Today it happened. The 9V Lithium ion is empty.
It was already dodgy yesterday and I thought it was the cable.

Unfortunately I am a disorganized fella and forgot where I put the other one I already charged. Would have been a good test to see how long it holds/if and how much it discharged without use. Maybe I’ll find it again. For now I have a normal 9V to practice while I charge the Li-Ion one. Have to remember to switch it back.

Honest full disclosure that I think most of you can guess: my practice time went down when I started working full time again and then again when band practice was cancelled. But as Fahri said - even without practice time it should self discharge to a degree, I think.

2 Likes

I wish! I am playing bass since April and am on my 3rd battery already. It drives me nuts and I understand @PamPurrs for ‘hating’ active basses for that so I might consider going rechargable as well. I don’t know why I can’t get a charge to last at least 6 month, this would be a dream. Might be different electronics in different basses, but I am practicing less then I should, maybe 4h/week :frowning:

2 Likes

I’ve resigned myself to just ordering a box of 9 volts from Amazon a couple times a year. My go-to bass is the Yammie BB735, which is active. I’ve gotten to like active basses and just have to understand that I have to feed it batteries.

1 Like

@enkhiel you may know this already, but you should unplug the cable from your bass when you’re not playing it. Apparently the active electronics remain switched on as long as the cable is plugged in.

3 Likes

Prudent advice

2 Likes

Yes, I noticed that after the first emptied battery but thanks :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am not sure… I will try it soon, I have an active bass and rechargeable batteries! I’ll let you know how it goes!

3 Likes

Oh, I already got some.
It works for me.

1 Like

I think this is heavily bass, preamp, and pickup dependent. Obviously active pickups eat batteries faster than passive ones.

In my bass, which has active EQ/passive pickups, batteries last a long time. I’m on my second in about a year. Standard cheapo 9v Amazon Basics battery, nothing special. I do play it in passive mode sometimes though.

I love active basses (so much tonal control on the thing), but I do also love my active/passive switch :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What passive basses even require batteries? I’m curious now

2 Likes

Your bass has passive pickups Pam :slight_smile:

A bass can have active EQ or not. A bass can have active or passive pickups. They are different. Your and my bass have active EQ, passive pickups, and a switch to bypass the EQ and run in purely passive mode.

A good rule of thumb - if the bass has an active/passive switch, the pickups are almost assuredly passive. If it can operate without a battery at all, the pups are definitely passive.

4 Likes

The cord jack being a switch for the electronics isn’t documented well, and many basses get sold with no manual. But yes - the cord jack functions as an actual switch, so unplugging the bass turns off your electronics, and is essential to prevent your battery draining prematurely.

Another way that your bass might be using more battery has to do with what it is plugged in to. Make sure you are going into a high impedance input. Your active bass probably can drive a low impedance input, but it will take more current from the battery to do so. With a high impedance input (meaning very little current from the battery), adjusting the output on the guitar won’t change the current drain too much. Guitar amps of course will be appropriate, but some mixing boards, direct input speakers and recording devices have both low and high impedance input capabilities.

Since an alkaline cell is considered working down to about 7V, the circuitry in any guitar should be fine with rechargeables. I personally use Energizer Lithium non-rechargeables and they last a long time.

4 Likes