Live Performance Videos

Pretty simple, post your live performance videos here. Show, church, cover band, fill in, whatever! Let’s see em!

1 Like

I have just one lol. I know we have more, but I can’t find em. For now this was our second ever live show where we played for a charity event that was meant to raise funds and awareness for Veteran suicides and mental health.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zQGiDBZj7dgAjo0-FmE_Ii4aW4_arHKX/view?usp=drivesdk

1 Like

There was a time, many moons ago when many of us who were learning to play bass use to hang out here and have fun… None of us played in bands, recorded music, or knew a lot about it even though most of us (at that time) were well into (or past) our 50’s…

Thing is, when so much is focused on how well versed any one person is on this forum, it has a tendency to take away from what this forum was initially intended for - a supplement to josh’s online training…

At one time we were all “Beginners” wanting to become “Badass”… and now… it appears that anyone who believes that they are “Badass” without taking the course can call the shots…

Hell, i don’t care… probably why I quit hanging around here anyway…

Bottom line,… this forum use to be a great place for people new to the bass to interact with others new to the instrument - seems like it’s now turned into another typical bass forum where everyone is out to impress everyone else with their intense knowledge and experience of playing bass… So damn sad…

I will always “Keep on Thumpin’!”, and I will always be thankful to @JoshFossgreen for his terrific course - I only wish that new players could have experienced the interaction I once had as a new bass player without all the crap that I’m reading now a days…

Lanny OUT…

5 Likes

@Lanny please don’t feel that way. There are still many of us here who are focused on the “new” bass player. It’s only a small percentage of people who are trying to impress everyone with their experience as professional or semi-professional musicians.
I hope you won’t leave us because of threads like this. Please, please, please…

2 Likes

To be honest I’m not seeing a problem with more experienced people posting; to me the experienced folks seem to be coming across as humble and trying to help beginners expand into stuff they might want to learn to take next steps in their journeys. Maybe I’m just optimistic about people.

Also, a lot of us have stuck around from our original cohorts as beginners, because this is a great place and we like the folks here, even though we are no longer beginners. And we share our experiences at our current levels. I don’t see a problem with this either as I have learned a whole lot from people here that have done that. Again, maybe I am just optimistic here.

I mean, I’ve learned a lot from you, Lanny :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Let us not forget the BEGINNER part of B2B. The vast majority of us have never been in a band, let alone performed live.

2 Likes

Sure. I’m just saying it doesn’t seem to me like people are trying to impress, rather to encourage. And I think that has value.

Reading talkbass for a day would show the difference I am talking about :slight_smile:

Maybe I’m optimistic. But in this forum I generally assume good intent.

5 Likes

I’m with @Lanny Lanny… after reading this thread, I’m about ready to bail out of the B2B forum if this is the direction it’s going.

That’s unfortunate. Playing live or jamming with a band is one of the things Josh talks a lot about in the course, and devotes a few modules to it. I would think a forum encouraging folks to link their attempts at it would be as good an idea as the Covers thread, which is one of my favorite parts of the forum.

Like I said, maybe I am just optimistic. I don’t see this as an ego-wank. I’m not interested in it at the moment per se, but it doesn’t seem like necessarily a bad idea to me, as long as it is open and accepting like the covers thread is.

It could be a really positive, encouraging thing.

5 Likes

Ummm…ok. I didn’t mean anything like that by this at all! Actually I saw Gio encourage a member to post a recording of the band he was trying out for and said he wanted to see some B2Bers performing live. I thought that would be cool and made the thread.

Can you point to a time once where anyone who is more experienced has disparaged or made fun of anyone who was a beginners playing? All I’ve seen is sharing experience, giving help/advice when people ask, and encouragement. If you all don’t like me posting here I can stop. I didn’t mean anything by it. I didn’t have a place like this when I was learning with experienced people who were willing to help and give their time, and I thought it would be nice to give.

4 Likes

I’ll add, if anyone actually watched that video, I’m awkward, playing too fast, making mistakes, the rest of us are too…certainly not something I would pick to “show off”.

2 Likes

Many of us here, myself included, are older people who regret all those years we didn’t play or perform in a band. I don’t need it rubbed in my face. I’m still a beginner even though I’ve been playing bass for nearly two years. Being a beginner is what this forum is about. If someone wants to showcase all their years of experience performing live, I think there are other forums that are more appropriate. This is just my own personal opinion and should be taken as such.

1 Like

That is EXACTLY what I was going for @howard

1 Like

You have posted your recordings here and shared that with community, and I have personally listened to and complimented those recordings and your playing. And if you do end up performing live that would be something you could and should share. Also, you aren’t a beginner based on what I have heard from your recordings.

4 Likes

Thank you @kerushlow. Also I hope you understand my POV.

2 Likes

Gonna agree with him that I think you’re selling youself short here, Pam :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I get that someone could look at it that way, but I also think it’s a matter of perspective. One of the hardest things to this day to find is a place that has musicians who will give you friendly and understanding feedback on your playing. It’s a great thing to have, and is sort of frustrating when you don’t have it. Friends and non-musicians don’t know what it’s like to learn an instrument, or what it’s like to expose your art to others. And you aren’t even sure if people are being honest, just being nice, are maybe being too critical…it’s tough. A place like this with non-judgmental, understanding and supportive people, I think it’s a great thing for people of all playing levels to have access to.

4 Likes

I admire your courage, I straight up don’t have the guts to post our live stuff, and it’s not even video :slight_smile:

Part of that is that all that’s survived is one terrible, almost inaudible recording. But it was also not our most sober evening.

2 Likes

I wish I had live stuff to even post. It’s nothing but fantasy to me, a dream, a regret. Something I wish I had done, but never did. It hurts me when I see people talking about their live performances.
Sorry for the rant.

2 Likes

Oh, sobriety and being in a band don’t always go together! Lol. And yeah I didn’t post the stuff from first show I found because the audio capture was TERRIBLE. But, maybe I should. Could post all the stuff where I’m flubbing, screwing up, hitting sour notes lol. I have plenty of them. Have recordings from this last Friday that are terrible

4 Likes