Logic Pro X - Tips, Tricks, and Thoughts

For everyone who either is or wants to be quick on the DAW, this is the place for Logic Pro X questions, answers, tasty workflow revelations, plugins pondering…you name it.

Let’s mix it up.

3 Likes

One thing I have already learned - there’s some things that are basically preferences in other DAWs that you cannot save globally in Logic. Changes to the Environment like MIDI mappings are one example.

For these, saving Project Templates is a good solution.

1 Like

How Logic Pro X as a DAW compares to Amplitube 5?

1 Like

Amplitube contains some DAW-like features. Logic, Reaper, etc are full DAWs with support for many things not in Amplitube. There’s not really a comparison.

However for simply recording things like covers, you could probably be just fine with Amplitube, or for that matter even something like Audacity. But you will be lacking a lot of music production features. It’s limited to 8 tracks, has no plugin support, and no MIDI editing support; all three of which are hard blockers for me and make it much less powerful than, say, GarageBand, much less a full DAW.

3 Likes

Oh, I see. I hear about Logic Pro X all the time, but I only use Amplitube to record covers.

Would I benefit from learning something like Logic if I don’t have (at least not in the short term) interest of creating music myself, instead just recording covers?

If all you want to do right now is record covers, it’s best to keep things simple.

Logic can do basic single-track recording, but that’s only scratching the surface of its features and capabilities. Using a simpler tool would be best until you want to create multitrack music.

2 Likes

Agree, yeah.

1 Like

I’ve started recording with Logic and with a Universal Audio Apollo Twin processor. Apollo comes with an Ampeg SVT plugin. But for some reason, I can’t get my Logic plug-ins to work too. Logic came with some good plugins, and tonight and this weekend, I’m hoping to figure out how to be able to figure out how to get them to work. Anyone else use this setup?

1 Like

It sounds like the Apollo can only load “UAD powered” plugins, but can also make those plugins available as AU for Logic to load? It’s possible the device itself can only load plugins from UAD. Hard to say without the manual though, I am just going by their web page there.

1 Like

Ugh, I just spent two hours trying everything to see why my USB-MIDI keyboard wasn’t registering in Logic even though I had used it last week to record some tests… I re-installed the driver, re-started the computer, fiddled with menus in Logic I thought I’d never need to touch… nothing helped. I was ready to throw everything out and play analog bass.

The keyboard LEDs lit up when I connected it to the computer, so I figured the cable was alright. Well, finally, I tried another cable anyway… and it worked. Apparently, there are USB cables that are “charging only”… I had no idea :astonished: :joy:

2 Likes

I’ve seen a few comments elsewhere, not discussion fora, from folks who say they use other plug-ins. Fortunately for the current piece I’m working on, I don’t need to access those. But next recording, I’ll need them.

1 Like

Yep, you need a cable capable of transmitting data as well as charging. Sorry you had to go through that, @joergkutter. But the first step should be: check your connection first.

1 Like

True but sometimes a cable looks like a cable. I spent an hour last week trying to update my IPhone only to discover exactly what @joergkutter went through.

Both cables looked identical but they weren’t. Modern life can be hard sometimes.

2 Likes

This! There seems to be no easy way to discern one from the other. And if you even don’t know they come in flavors, this can provide hours of “hilarious fun” :cry: :scream:

1 Like

Very true. I’ve been there, and I empathize. The experience definitely does suck.

But after going through decades of Mac tech support for myself, family and friends, I’ve had Occam’s Razor’s lesson regarding cables tattooed on my forehead. :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

I really like Logic Pro X, but man, it’s comparatively buggy stacked up next to Reaper :rofl:

My latest thing, the DAW will steal keystrokes from plugins if they ever resize. Like, keystrokes will initially go to the focused plugin, then if you resize it, they will always go to Logic instead of the focused plugin window. Quitting and restarting Logic fixes it, every time. It’s maddening. Many plugins automatically resize on various GUI events.

Searching online, yep, widespread issue. Apparently it’s a bug in running Logic on Apple silicon with any plugin that gets resized. Persists until relaunch. Given typical music production workflows it’s kind of amazing this is a bug that shipped.

100% reproducible for me.

1 Like

I don’t doubt there will be an update soon. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Sorry to hear! It’s not one of the bugs I have encountered (yet) :joy:

I run off a laptop with some of the libraries on an external disk, and I have a few songs where plug-ins don’t load… i.e., the file won’t open as Logic gets stuck in the loading process… I am not sure whether I used too many plug-ins (can’t imagine) or taxed the ones I used too much, or whether it is because not everything is on the same machine!?

I am planning on getting a MacMini soon as a dedicated machine for my music production.

2 Likes

I think this was a known issue in 10.7.8.

1 Like

Hm, I got 10.7.9 and that issue seems to persist.

1 Like