Looking at ESP and Schecter....thoughts?

I’ve done the BassBuzz course with a Fender acoustic-electric bass, but am now shopping for a ‘real’ bass. I’m liking the ESP LTD B-204SM and the Schecter Omen Extreme4. Interested in opinions on these.

Mark

2 Likes

I have three schecter basses, one of them is an Omen Extreme 4. They are well built basses. They are beautiful and I’ve never had an issue with any of them.

2 Likes

I have a rule that if I am going to spend over $100 on something, I have to spend a certain bit of time researching to make sure I’m making the right purchase. The higher the amount, the more time I have to spend. Helps a lot with impulse buying.

That being said, if I didn’t already have a modern style bass, I would have bought a Schecter. They’re fantastic guitars and I’ve yet to try one that I didn’t love.

Hell, I might still get one at some point.

2 Likes

The omen extreme is a fine rig. The esp isn’t anything to thumb your nose at. I’ve had a couple shecter basses. An omen extreme and a custom 4

My opinion is that shecter makes the best basses in this price range but your mileage may vary.
Bottom line? No one can tell you which is the best bass-it’s really all up to you. Play them both (a lot ) before buying if you can.
There are a lot of factors involved in buying an instrument.
Build quality, configuration, tone, ergonomics, price and aesthetics all play into it for me.

Good luck on your choice, and i hope you make one you won’t regret. You’re already on a good path because you are keeping one in your hands-that’s what is really important.

1 Like

My first bass was a ESP LTD B-50 FM P/J. It looked good, sounded great, put together very well and I still have it and play slap on it. It took adjustments well and it really was a first rate beginner bass. But honestly, it does not look or play like a beginner bass.

1 Like

ESP and Schecter have the same owner, so there are very similar in quality, which is very good in my experience.

2 Likes

Yeah you can’t go wrong with either of those. Personally I would go for the ESP (I really like the B-series) but YMMV.

4 Likes

Agree B series is really great.
I had the six string and was built flawlessly and played great.
I just couldn’t deal with all the extra strings!

2 Likes

I have the ESP LTD B-205sm (5 string version of the one you’re looking at)…. I love it! I tried out several in store, including some Schlecters, ultimately settled on this as it had the best feel and sound to me. I’d recommend trying out some in stores yourself and choose the one that resonates with you. Overall though, I’d say as long as you are in the mid range of price or higher, you really can’t go wrong.

1 Like

Does this apply to buying gas? Or only novel purchases?

1 Like

I wonder if fuel costs back then were considered high when adjusted for inflation? I’d bet there was just as much pain at the pump.

:point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2:

1 Like

Welcome to the community and congrats on completing the course😎

It might just come down to which one feels better to you. I’ve got an LTD guitar and a Schecter bass. Really happy with both of them. They are in a higher price bracket normally but got great specials on both of them.

1 Like

So, I ended up getting a MM Sterling Stingray 34HH on closeout at GC for about $300 off. I picked the 'ray, as has good versatility across multiple genres. Also, it has a roasted maple neck that is the best-feeling neck I’ve ever played on any bass or 6 string. I love it, it just feels ‘right’…

4 Likes

Good choice. I love roasted maple necks… I just do.

1 Like