Looking for a case recommendation

I just bought a peavey cirrus 4 string in red oak and unfortunately, it didn’t come with the original case. I’m hesitant to buy any ol’ case because of the 35” scale. Any suggestions on what kind of case I should get? I’m looking for a hard case with locks, not a gig bag.

5 Likes

Perhaps you could contact Peavey and inquire if they make a case for your particular model of bass guitar.

5 Likes

They do, but they sell them with each guitar. I haven’t been able to find just the case like on eBay or reverb.

4 Likes

Doh!
I understand the issue.
In my days at working at the music store, we would regularly sell the non-model-specific hard cases, but it was alwaysalwaysalways a “bring in your bass to see if it fits” deal.
I’m not sure if you have the option, but a trip into a shop with the bass could help you figure out what works and what doesn’t.
Also, sometimes shops end up with random cases - from trade-ins or other deals - that might work.

Before you buy blind on the internet, see if there’s a place around that might have some cases to try.
That is my suggestion.

9 Likes

That’s a great suggestion! I will hit my local guitar shop with my new axe as soon as it’s not 4th of July weekend.

Even if I don’t buy from them I’ll have a good idea of the case I’m looking for.

6 Likes

A little update, the guy who sold me the bass messaged me and said he located the original case. Problem solved!

5 Likes

Ha!
Best case scenario.

3 Likes

Great! Congratulations!

2 Likes

Another recommendation I might make would be to check over on Sweetwater. I noticed when I ordered my new bass today they had a listing of a handful of cases that they claimed would fit and were “hand tested” to verify.

1 Like

I did this once with the Sweetwater guys. Had a Schecter Corsair which is a semi hollow, and they said an Epiphone case would fit and was hand tested. And you know wht? It did. So I had a positive experience with that

2 Likes

Just an FYI @DavidGreen you can punch in the actual size of your bass into Gator cases ‘case finder’ page and they’ll let you know what options you have from them.

https://gatorco.com/case-finder-2/

4 Likes

This reminded me of searching for a case for my short scale. A standard bass case would not fit, nor would most guitar cases. But the luthier gave me (without asking) the length, upper bout, and lower bout. Sweetwater has this information in the technical specs for all its cases, and I was able to purchase one that fits pretty well. Another plus for Sweetwater

2 Likes

Very good value for the price too. Highly recommend!

2 Likes

Hey… Just wanted to say, I didn’t see the pun until today, 4 days later.
It wasn’t intended, but I wish it was so I could be proud of it.
Now, I’m just sad I missed such a golden opportunity.

6 Likes

:joy: spot on!

1 Like