Looking for advice on my next bass

I have no idea how much that is :joy:

4 Likes

3.7kg. About the same as my TRBX604.

3 Likes

Ha ha, I grew up on the Metric system. I have to say I prefer it, much simpler.
At least we are not talking about Stone! :laughing:

2 Likes

We Americans were all taught the metric system in the 1970s as kids, and we were going to change everything to it…and then didn’t.

We teach it now to kids as well as the norm but only use it in scientific enviornments mainly. All construction, engineering, etc is generally all still imperial. It is a royal (pun inended) pain in the arse.

4 Likes

You mean like in Mars landers? :rofl:

1 Like

I disagree about Imperial vs. Metric.

There’s nothing in Metric that’s inherently better than Imperial.

Yes, yes… dividing by ten and so forth. But really, is the fact that a kilometer has 1000m compared to the mile’s 5280 feet so much better? I mean, in everyday use, at that scale you don’t use anything more accurate than 1/4 mile anyways. If you need to measure something smaller you switch to smaller units. In Metric, below 0.5km you also switch to meters as well.
At a lower scale, are multiples of ten so much easier than of 2? When was the last time anyone in normal, everyday life needed to measure below 1/16"? Ah yes, the multiple of 10 argument again… but most fine measurements in Imperial (i.e. in machining) are done in thou anyways. So, nothing inherently better in Metric there either.

Is having a 19mm wrench size THAT much more informative than 3/4"?

Both systems are fine, and whatever people are used to using and can easily relate to, is the best for them.

Really, anyone who forces a country to change the measurement system it customarily uses is an a$$hat with an ulterior motive, deserving to be shot and pissed on. If you don’t believe me, look at my home, The People’s Glorious Republic of Canadastan. In the 1970’s Pierre Trudeau (current Ruprecht the Monkeyboy’s daddy) brought in metric against the will of the majority, mainly to increase gas prices. Of course, they did such a crap job of it, we now have a hybrid cargo cult of a system. We measure driving distance in km and outdoor weather temperature in Degrees Science (aka Dungarees Communist), but anything less than 1/4 km in feet and inches as well as indoor and cooking temperatures in Degrees Freedom (aka Dungarees Frankenstein).

1 Like

The neck of my SR600e feels rock solid, as does the whole bass. The neck does feel more ‘delicate’ to me compared to my Ray4 - and by that I just mean it feels more refined, thinner (even though I don’t think it is by much, maybe a different radius). I like them both, but I think the SR is a better made instrument - probably part my own personal preference and part because it is twice the price point.

2 Likes

The midrange and high end Ibanez are really well made, in my experience, so that’s likely not an illusion :slight_smile:

I assume the SR300’s are too, I just haven’t really tried them, mostly I’ve looked at SR500’s and SR2400’s.

1 Like

1 37/64" divided by 2 muliplied by 5.

VS.

40mm divided by 2 multiplied by 5.

Which is inherently easier?

See all those albums on my walls in my videos.
They are all anally spaced evenly, I did it in AutoCAD to get spacing handed to me but try dividing all that crap up in imperial vs. metric and you will be flying the mm flag any day.

4 Likes

As a chemistry major I am fantastically happy no longer having to deal with the inherent stupidity of imperial units, even though I grew up with them.

My only regret is that metric time never took off. The French did try, but it was just a little too wonky.

2 Likes

We do everyting at work with metric engineering units, period.
But being a global company it makes much more sense.
We have to convert some formulas to gallons for some copackers (not because they can’t, they prefer if we give them the doc) because their employees are used to gallons…think middle America farmbelt areas.

2 Likes

I only mention the chem major bit because that’s where I got used to them. And then realized just how dumb the imperial system actually was in comparison.

The US, Liberia, and Myanmar - that’s it. Still clinging to being colonies, I guess. Even the UK has moved on (sort of).

I can understand the irritation at having to learn new units but it’s really not that hard to get used to, and once you do, it’s just much nicer.

Considering we rejected every single other British leaning thing (including word pronunciations) it seems odd that we got lazy with measuring.

2 Likes

I know. I don’t get it either. Especially considering how strongly we were allied with France - you would think we would have followed them there.

As a carpenter I’m going to politely disagree. I grew up working with metric. Metric plans, metric tape. Base 10. Everything is a multiple of 10 simple. 1.5m is 1500mm

I move to Canada. “Yeah cut that piece of 2x6 at 11’ 7” and 3/16 what the f**k is that crazy number?

So I had to learn base 12 for feet and base 16 for subdivisions of inches. Want to use a calculator? No problem, divide the imperial measurement until you get imperial decimal figure then work from there. It’s 15 years later it’s still an inefficient system :slight_smile:

So find the centre of 11’ 7" and 3/16. Take 11 feet / 2 = 5.5 feet or 66" then 7" / 2 = 3.5" so 69.5 inches plus the fraction / 2 = 69.5" 3/32.

Or 1770mm / 2 = 885mm. Done, simple

BC building code is in metric. So headroom for a set of residential stairs is 1950mm. To use this information I have to then convert it to the Ye Olde imperial system to make my stairs.

The system is rubbish. We need to move into the next Century. Not stay married to the dark ages.

5 Likes

This is it in a nutshell. Yes, we can do engineering and so on just fine in imperial units if we so desire. But why would we want that, other than clinging to familiarity?

Why would we choose to work in base 12 or base 16 unless we had to? And I say that as a software engineer who works in base 16 all the time for a different reason :slight_smile:

Even as a kid I had kind of fundamental questions about imperial units. Like, how did this catastrophe even happen? Some inbred king with 12 fingers? Someone happened to have a fetish for 16 things?

The choices make no sense.

Back in the 90s they launched the Mars Climate Orbiter, to observe the climate on Mars. The team at JPL calculated the propulsion systems in metric units (newtons-seconds^2); the enigneers at Lockheed Martin used Imperial units (pounds-second^2); JPL didn’t know the telemetry was Imperial, and crashed the orbiter in the atmosphere.

It’s just crazy. One system to rule them all.

1 Like

Which is just crazy because no one in the sciences use imperial units. Not even undergrads. Like, if imperial units were required, we would first convert to metric, do all the work, then convert the answer back at the end.

Nice work by the Lazy L there.

(that’s actually their long-time Bay Area nickname)

1 Like

Not to keep going off topic @howard , but I didn’t know (or I forgot :roll_eyes: ) that you were a Chem Major. I have a BS in Chemistry from Rider . . . small world, isn’t it? :slight_smile:

We have 2-liter bottles of soda, and 750ml bottles of liquor. I use grams when I weigh out my food. Medical industry uses gm, mg, etc.

Problems arise because everyone has to be in one way or the other. People got used to 1 and 2 liter bottles of soda, but they just don’t want to go from miles to km and from gallons of fuel to liters of it.

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes

Yeah! I’d remembered you majored in Chem too, Joerg too I think.

Sadly I haven’t used my major since a year or so after school - I worked in the industry for about a year and decided to go in to software, been in software ever since.

2 Likes