Looking for advice on my next bass

Hello fellow bass family! I’m kinda new here but I’m starting my 36th lesson (6th week) with Josh and he is by far the best instructor I have ever experienced. I could talk for days about how much I love his course and his style (so fun to learn from), but let’s get to the point of this post.
I’m just learning bass after 30 years of drumming and already own a Schecter Stiletto extreme 4 & an Ibanez SR300e. I enjoy them both but esthetics are as important to me as tone, playability and I’m not in love with either of them.
I have a budget of about $700-$800 and the only “criteria” I have is, I hate headstocks that don’t match the body or are at least painted. Probably limiting myself by being a picky rookie, but for now I just don’t like that. I’m not educated enough in “bass-ics” to be loyal to any brand, so please let me know what you think are the best basses in this price range. Yes, I realize this is very subjective. Like all of you, I want to make an educated purchase.
Oh…and I prefer 4 string. I’m a newbie. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Thanks guys!!

6 Likes

Have you considered a custom paint job or vinyl wrap? You could get EXACTLY what you want for that price range and you wouldn’t be restricted to what a manufacturer offers.

4 Likes

Tons of amazing basses in that price range. I’m biased but I would recommend checking out the Yamaha BB734A and the Yamaha TRBX604.

If you want a classic P/J, for the money it’s going to be really hard to beat a BB734A; it easily outclasses basses double its price (or more).

The TRBX is more modern, lighter, double-humbucker. Very bright tone.

I love them both about equally. Very different basses.

4 Likes

emme,
Very good idea but I don’t “love” the body shape of the Schecter Stiletto and the Ibanez (in my opinion) doesn’t sound and play as good as the Schecter. Although I do like the body shape of the Ibanez. Thank You

2 Likes

Thanks howard! I have been looking closely at the TRBX 504 (I prefer 4 string) but I cannot find any in stock! All backordered.

5 Likes

604 is 4-string too, just a different body wood and finish. I only play 4 strings as well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Would you say the 604 is a good “mid-level” bass?
I’m looking at it as compared to a Schecter Omen also.

3 Likes

Yep, really great playing and sounding bass, excellent pickups, looks amazing (IMO) and feels great. Nice features (active EQ with active/passive switch, etc). Thin, fast neck. All in all a solid midrange modern bass. A bit under your price range, too.

3 Likes

Good information! That is definitely the direction I’m leaning towards and the 604’s are in stock almost everywhere. Thank You

3 Likes

Fender aerodyne.

4 Likes

Thoughts on ESP LTD B-4E?

2 Likes

I have a Fender Aerodyne and love it. The body and headstock are a perfect match and no pesky markings on the fretboard to clutter things up. :grin:

4 Likes

I have a Fender Aerodyne and it’s a great feeling bass, and a looker to boot. Would really recommend this one.

Have you looked at the Sire series? They offer a lot for the money, and are made of quality materials.

Here is a pic of the Sire V7 I’m getting next week

Have you looked at the ESP D4? It is a Neck Through design and ESP has a reputation for quality.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LD4BPBLKNBS--esp-ltd-d-4-black-natural-burst-satin

6 Likes

Welcome to the forums @Steve73

I have the TRBX504 and the TRBX304.
I could not be happier and play the TRBX504 just about every day.

I purchased the TRBX504 two weeks after receiving the 304.
The 304 was fine but I did not care for the pickups and 5 position EQ system plus I could not switch between active and passive modes and I found shaping the sound/tone so much better on the 504.

For these reasons I would recommend the TRBX504.

Not sure what country you are in but in Canada my 504 settled out at about $850 by the time taxes, shipping and a case was purchased.

As far as availability I suggest keeping your eye on Reverb.com.

5 Likes

Wow! All great looking basses! Tough choices!

3 Likes

I think @T_dub has one of those - wait til he’s back from the 4th of July festivities. Great looking bass for sure. I don’t own one, but was very interested once and have only heard good things about them!

4 Likes

Something like this perhaps?

7 Likes

Whoa! That’s pretty sweet! What model is that?

3 Likes

@Steve73 Sire M7 :smiling_imp:

4 Likes

Go on reverb.com, put in your price range, and…scroll.
Also troll talkbass.com classifieds and you will learn a lot.
There are a lot in that price range, even more in the used category.

I would jump on an Aerodyne above all else in that range, but that is just me.

3 Likes