Looking for advice on my next bass

There’s quite a few things to think of regarding buying a new bass including nut width, neck profile, scale length etc
If possible the best option really is go into a store and play as many different models and styles as you can.
So many have great features but there’s that one thing about them you personally can’t live with.
My collection is growing but I’m all honesty if I was buying my first again ( and I know you’re not but please read on) with the knowledge I have now (and that’s still a beginners knowledge in reality ) I would have to say the Ray4 would be the one I’d go for.
Very playable from the box, heaps of colour options, very reasonably priced and if you’re brave enough/ that way inclined so easy to mod to your needs.
But that’s from an Aussie point of view where everything costs double what the price is in the USA

6 Likes

I recently purchased a Sire V7 in that price range. It’s got a great sound and I love the neck.

10 Likes

That is beautiful!!

2 Likes

Hi Steve73.
First of all, I appreciate how you’ve titled your first post.
I’m going to endorse you getting your next bass. Every single one of them.
It’s actually in the International Law of Human Rights that all humans are entitled to a next bass.
At least, it’s in my personal copy. It’s in the margin of page 125, and in my handwriting, but that’s not important.

My observations on bass choice is based on having bought 28 basses in 19 months of playing.
My observations of aesthetics is based on many years of asking myself “Why do I like the look of that?”

Now that I’ve been able to play a huge range of basses, I’ve had to change my mind many times.
The biggest surprise was how my opinion on what I liked the look of, changed when I heard the sound.
Fenders looked too boring and Warwicks looked weird. Then I discovered the sounds that I wanted belonged to Fenders and Warwicks ( amongst others … )
So now I have two old Fenders that sound just cool and two modern styled Warwicks that snarl and growl. ( A thumb and a Corvette. The others still look too weird. )
I still want a Cole Clark Long Lady…
My advice is:
Look at as many different basses as you can. Learn to tell them apart by looking at the distinct stylistic features of each. Once they’re all familiar, use every method you can, to get an idea of what they sound like. You’ll have a ready made mental store of what you like either the sound of, or the look of, or both.

At this point, you’ve actually completed your very first bass study and can consider that you’ve fleshed out an informed opinion. Every bass you try or buy after that further informs your opinion. ( and exercises your human right to another bass… )
It also may change your mind about what you think is what you want and what is important to you.

It is important to let your experiences change your mind and nothing is worse than letting your inability to change your mind limit your experiences.

Go forth and multiply your basses.

9 Likes

Admacdo
Thank You for your insight. My journey has begun.

3 Likes

I went out to a few stores today and tried several brands/models. I must say the Sterling by MM was the one that had the “it” factor. I didn’t want to put it down. It was the Ray 24 model. From what I’ve read, people have a lot of great things to say about the guitars and the company.

2 Likes

I’d say for that price range you can’t go wrong with a Yamaha. Of course, if you get the chance to go and play some, that should guide you more.

1 Like

I have a BFR (Ball Family Reserve) Stingray Special and a Ray4 that I modded the hell out of.
The BFR SS is the single most beautifully constructed bass of the 12 I own. The attention to detail is outstanding.

The Ray4, for the price is also built insanely well. I had some credit and got it for $200.
It became my ‘test bed’ bass for pickups/preamps. However, before ripping it apart I played it as was. A pickup/preamp upgrade is all a Ray4 needs to be an amazing bass. Not very keen on what comes with it though.

@T_dub is our resident expert on all things MM and the differences in models and upgrade choices. He has posted a LOT about this in several threads (we should have him post in one place all things MM as reference. Anyway, hit him up for info and opinions.

Net/Net, EBMM whatever it is makes outstanding products top to bottom.

5 Likes

Ray24 is a good choice. I almost bought a Ray4 with an eye to upgrading the pickup/preamp, but bought a Squier Jag H (with an eye to upgrade the pickup/preamp) instead. I am more of a Fender guy, at least a Fender Jazz Neck guy.

I think you’ll be very happy, what color? I kinda like the Ray24 in buttercream

4 Likes

Another vote for the Ray24 here.

3 Likes

If you wanna be super cool you would get this bass.

https://reverb.com/item/38639361-mtd-kingston-crb-5-string-maple-board-matte-black

4 Likes

Oh I dig this one.

1 Like

That is interesting for sure!
Thanks

2 Likes

The Ray24 is an excellent bass.
The Ray4 is an outstanding bass, as it is probably the best in class, meaning, the best thing you can get for $299 (although that new JagH looks interesting at $249, but I have never had hands on one, and from the one Jag I did have hands on, it was nice, but not as nice as the Ray4).

The thing about the Ray4 and Ray24 is, you don’t really get anything more for the extra $200.
You get colors you can’t get in the Ray4
You get a flat slab body, instead of body contoured for belly cut out and forearm rest on the Ray24, an you get something called VINTAGE TINT neck, again, all about looks.

IF you LIKE the look of the Ray24 better then the Ray4, nothing wrong with that, just know, you are pretty much paying for that look.
The pick up is slightly different fro the Ray4, but not better, just different., and in my opinion, they both need to be replaced first thing.
The marketing on the Ray24 would lead you to beleive it has a upgraded preamp VOICED special for this bass, when in fact, it is the EXACT SAME preamp they put in the Ray4.

Does that matter, not to me, I like the stock preamp, I just like it when I put in a new pick up. I use Aguilar pick up, and it is awesome.
But there are plenty to choose from, ranging from $50 to near $200, and each and everyone in that range will make a HUGE difference over the $10 stock pick up they ship with.
It is the one single bad thing about the bass, but I understand why, cost, they need to cut cost somewhere, and they also need to have a reason people would spend up for the Ray34 and for the EBMM stingray’s.
If they made the Ray4 perfect for $299, then why would one buy a Ray34 or EBMM.
Of course there are plenty of reasons, but the better they make the bottom offering, the less attractive the upper level offerings. Become.

That said, the only reason I WOULD buy a Ray24 would be to have that beautiful blue that only comes on the Ray24, but that would be the ONLY reason I would step up myself.
That said, if you like a Ray24, there is nothing wrong with that, you will probably love it for a long time,a new it will treat you right. it just cost a little more.

Also, necks. Gotta remember about necks.

Ray4 - Jazz neck
Ray24 - Jazz neck
Ray34 - Stingray neck
Stingray Stingray neck

Jag - Jazz neck
Jazz bass - Jazz neck
P bass - P neck

those are the typical necks… Of course, there are modified models that come out where they mix and match.

Like my EBMM Stingray SLO Special is a EBMM Stingray, but it has a Jazz neck on it.

Also, 1.5” at the nut, typical on a Jazz, can still have a different profile, making it not a Jazz, more of a Sterling or SLO, or whatever.

You will get a lot more mileage tyrying them out, as opposed to just looking for a bass with a jazz neck or p neck or whatever neck. Your hands will know what you like best.

Later on, when you have played lots of basses, then you an shop basses by neck style and profile shape, and pick ups and preamps and all that.
For now, getting a good bass that is built well and feels great is top priority.

4 Likes

Ray24 is the baby sister of the Ray34CA( Classic Acitve) I like mine but be warned it’s does not have a belly carved. It’s a block body, think telecaster. It’s not for everybody for sure. The line offers some great looking color combo.

If you are into hunting for used gears then sterling SB14 is an awesome choice. Awesome electronics, great neck profile, plus most comes with matching headstock paint.

I also second the Fender Aerodyne. Amazing bass with many things to like. Slim jazz body with binding, matching paint on headstock. PJ pickups, smoked chrome hardware, and most important, Made in Japan Fender. Spend a few hundreds on better pickups you are all set!

My thoughts on acquiring more gear. Eventually, you’ll need to let some go so it’d be a great idea to keep the resale value in mind.

Here are some of my basses that I mentioned earlier

10 Likes

This is exactly the information that I’m needing!!
Thanks T_dub!!
I’ve made my decision that my new bass will be a Sterling, just can’t decide which model and color. Now I’m just being picky! LOL
I have narrowed it down to 4 models: Ray34, Ray24/4, & SB14. Each has something I like but I can’t buy 4…lol.
It’s really down to personal preference now.
I don’t have the resources to try a Ray 35 locally to determine if the neck is too wide for my taste. I know the build quality is excellent.
Also, I really prefer a matching headstock. It’s petty, I know, but it’s got to be something that inspires me to play and unmatched headstocks annoy me, but I realize I am passing up a lot of great basses because of that.
What’s your opinions specifically on the SB14 model? Are the bodies smaller? Are they worth modding?
Thanks to everyone for helping me with fantastic information and insight!!

5 Likes

I totally agree with this. I don’t have many matching head sticks but just love them.

2 Likes

It helps to be excited when you pick up a bass to play.

3 Likes

The SB14 is a STERLING by STERLING, not a Stingray by STERLING.
They are not in production any longer, and I have not found many for sale in my local area, but I have seen them on Reverb and GC online.
The Sterling is a little different animal then the stingray.
It is a smaller body, and it has a STERLING neck, which is a Jazz neck or SLO (San Luis Obispo neck, where Music Man is headquartered) , so the neck is similar to the Ray4 and Ray24.
The pick up is different, as in it is wired with a 3 way selector switch so it can be run in parallel, series or single coil, which offers some cool tonal options.

I actually had one of these, but it was a SUB model, and not labeled SB14, and I didn’t actually know what I had. The SUB version felt very cheap compared to todays SBMM Ray4, however, it was not one of the nicer SB14’s that had matching headstock, those are much nicer then the SUB STERLING I had.

If you want to know more about the difference between Stingrays and Sterling models, look on the Music Man website under BASSES, and you will see the full description of both Sterlings and Stingrays, this might help you decide, if you can find a SB14 that is

3 Likes

Awesome as always T_dub!
Thank You!

2 Likes