Looking for advice on my next bass

Good choice @Steve73 !
Don’t know about the specific model you’ve chosen but after reading @T_dub posts on the Ray4 I can say hand on heart that I have never regretted buying mine for 1 second

1 Like

I think you had the sb4. Sb14 is smaller in the body and neck but bigger and more aggressive sound than stingray.

The ray35 is absolutely awesome. What do you want to know about the neck? May be I can help.

I have one with roasted maple neck and another with regular neck with matching headstock and both are quilted maple.

4 Likes

That could be. It defiantly was a Sterling body and Neck. It was not a matching headstock, it just said SUB and Sterling instead of Stingray. I don’t recall there being a number, but I could be wrong, maybe we can make it out in one of the few photo’s I have of it?

4 Likes

Nope, no clues on the headstock either

4 Likes

It’s not petty at all. They look like ten times better to me too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah that the sb4. No phantom coils no control plate. I scored one early in the lockdown at the guitar center you hate, lol. It was a pickup so it was much less painful experience than yours for sure.

2 Likes

Yeah, Mission Viejo.

Fountain Valley is closer, but I have not been really impressed with them either.
I have only done a pick up at The Block, but it seemed like a bigger one then both the FV and MV stores, so maybe I will check it out sometime.

Guys, thanks so much for all of your help. I have settled on a Ray35H. Just looking for the right color now. Any sites you guys recommend other than Reverb & EBay?

1 Like

….sorry, I meant Ray34H

3 Likes

Sweetwater is supposed to be top notch for customer service.

2 Likes

Well that didn’t take long!!
As soon as I went back and checked Reverb, this popped up! What do you guys think? Is it a good buy for me?

4 Likes

Check the return policy.
That looks like a standard price.
If Sweetwater has them in stock, and if you call them and work with a sales rep, they can often give you a discount.
Plus they have a great return and warranty policy.

1 Like

Not saying that is not a bad deal, it is the standard price.
The seller will be paying Reverb fees, so they are not likely to discount much, but if three is a MAKE OFFER tab, try to offer $50 less.

1 Like

Sweetwater doesn’t appear to be a Sterling dealer.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I offered. $50 less

2 Likes

Yeah, I just saw that, maybe that is why I have never ordered from them?
I have just always heard great things.

You can also try Musicians Friend. They are owned by GC, but I have heard their sales reps will give deals too. I know they have SBMM there.

2 Likes

B&H sells them but they are sold out.

(B&H is basically the Sweetwater of cameras and A/V gear)

2 Likes

B&H?

1 Like

I agree. If this deal doesn’t work out, Musician’s Friend has a used 35H that I have my eye on.

bhphotovideo.com

Usually a good place to check as a backup for audio gear. They occasionally have things when others are out.

Though my recommendation as always would be to buy used and not new.

1 Like