Looking for advice on my next bass

no way, all us Americans would then have to google the conversion!

2 Likes

That’s right! 'Merica!

200w

1 Like

I certainly see your point @T_dub but for whatever miniscule, petty, OCD reason, I cannot get past the fact that I don’t like the look of the maple finger/fretboard with the Neptune Blue body and headstock. I just think a rosewood or ebony would compliment and tie it all together better. If I thought it would bother me this much, I would never have purchased it.
Sure, I could just sell the guitar but I really dig the color. :pensive:

4 Likes

I love the look and feel of a maple fretboard.

But not as much as I love a good Ebony fretboard. With you on that.

1 Like

@Never2Late - that is what I was alluding to, and I appreciate the extra info! Pretty cool to be able to talk to someone who worked on the mission…

2 Likes

@skydvr Yeah, he wasn’t working on those specific missions, but was there at JPL when it happened. Not sure why; maybe he happened to be there while on other business, and was allowed to attend since he knew some of the people.

3 Likes

I have been to JPL / NASA Pasadena many times to train their machinist staff on our machine controls and assist in setting up of some of their machined parts.
I have been there on a couple repair missions too, when the machinist dropped and / or accidentally de calibrated the probes or some parameters in the machine controls (Makino Pro P, Pro 3, pro 5 and Pro 6 built on GE Fanuc architecture).
I never made it to the control room, but had been offered a visit
I have seen some Mars Rover testing, some Space Shuttle Engine hi bay Assembly buildings, and other assembly buildings for various Shuttle body structure component hi bay assembly buildings.
Plus the on site museum which is really cool.
Just never made it to the control room.

I like the Lakland basses a lot.
Never played one, but sure would love to try one.
If a P, I would love the Geezer Buttler signature P by Lakland

5 Likes

Yeah, they make interesting basses indeed.

Anyone in here who is playing a G&L?? I don’t hear/see so much about them…

3 Likes

No, we were going to get into that one but Bassbot came and beat us over the head.

2 Likes

Supposed to be the best instruments Leo made. It was his third company, and tech for electronics, and manufacturing had come a long way since his first P and J bass, and even since his Stingray.

Supposed to be awesome instruments.

The USA ones are made about 35 miles from me, but about 5 or so miles away is a G&L store. Full showroom for their instruments.

I really want to sheck it out, and am sure too soon.

If we ever get an Orange County, CA Live Hang / Lunch, I hope to do it near there, so we can all visit the store after or before lunch.

They make the ASAT bass and ASAT guitar.
It is a full on Telecaster body and guitar / Bass.
Not cheap, but that is a total bucket list bass for me.

They have so many styles of basses, and configurations, there is lots to choose from.
USA models, and Custom Shop (CFL) and tribute (imports) are all supposed to be amazing.

One thing I noticed however, is, besides the J basses, they all seem to come with fatter P bass necks.
And when I say fatter, I mean like older P bass with approx 1.7” at nut, maybe down to 1.65”, but I recall a lot of wider necks on many models.

Idk how interchangeable they are, or how easy it is to order ones with J necks, but I would say, well worth looking into.

4 Likes

Thanks, @T_dub !

Yeah, that is what I heard, but still, they don’t seem to get as much “love” or attention as the original Fenders or the Musicmans…

5 Likes

I have never heard anyone say a bad thing about G&L, even to complain about price/performance, which is the usual argument you hear about Fender and EBMM (as opposed to SBMM, which seem to be universally loved).

4 Likes

I never knew about the Leo Fender and G&L connection until a few days ago :flushed:
They are a very nice bass @joergkutter . Shame we don’t see many in Oz

3 Likes

Same here… at least, I haven’t seen one “in the wild” so far :smile:

3 Likes

“Guitars by Leo”! The & is really a treble clef :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ha… yeah, it’s really in the logo, once you look carefully :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

I’ve often wondered but never played one. Another thing to do at Sweetwater.

2 Likes

:exploding_head:

2 Likes

Yep Neptune blue quilted maple is pretty amazing. You know you could stain it blue just for giggles. Of course practice it on a cheapo first. I just responded to your other post but I’ll say this beware of the OCD, because one day you’ll stumble on to a lick that when played on a shiny smooth maple fingerboard feels better than pores rosewood or pau Ferro your ocd would flip in an instant.

Case and point, I was a diehard 1.5” neck at the nut guy for the longest time and love how fast and fun I can play til one day I played on a 1.7 width neck through stingray, at first it felt sluggish but it grew on me very quickly. When I go back to skinny jazz neck I lost that love of the skinny neck.

Also at one point I own 4 Fender aerodynes bass I swap one of the neck out to a maple neck for better feel and look, another to a pau ferro for a lighter color fingerboard well also fretless too. My point is at some point our preference would change. We are not pro bass is with signature bass that we only play.

Wait til you find a set of strings that feel so perfect to you and you want to switch all of your basses to that strings, and that strings is $50 a set and you have a couple of dozen basses. It gets expensive very quickly, lol. Don’t ask me how I know.

6 Likes

Are they Thomastik Infeld strings?

3 Likes