Looking for advice on my next bass

I would, I would … I’m having trouble getting it through the procurement department.

4 Likes

:rofl: I hear ya loud and clear T_dub!! The teardrop pick guard is a big part of the legacy! I actually like the black but the beauty is there are many many pick guards to experiment with.
Although, as Al1885 said, it is covering up some beautiful quilted maple…ah, choices,choices.
Love it!

2 Likes

It’s another case where the steel diamond plate pickguard would look awesome.

Of course that would be most Stingrays.

5 Likes

In response to bassdacious, I have an Ibanez SR300E and the build quality is very impressive for a low cost bass. I just never cared much for a neck that slim. Nothing wrong with it, just personally felt to small for my taste. I also have a Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 which has a beefier neck that I enjoy.

3 Likes

That diamond plate looks so cool!
I can’t wait to get my hands on the new Ray34 and “make it my own”

3 Likes

Teardrop is generous, lol. I usually call it toilet seat cover pickguard🤣

6 Likes

Ha ha, never looked at it like that before!

1 Like

….and I’ll probably never look at it the same again! I can’t unsee that now! Thanks Al !!

3 Likes

I’m late to the party! :smiley: Given what you said about playing the MM bass and not being able to put it down… Dude, buy it! If it gives you that kind of joy, that’s the instrument for you!

I have two basses, both Yamaha: a TRBX604FM, and a BB735a. The TRBX is a “modern” bass with a more midrangey tone, less deep bass fundamental. The 735a is, as has been stated, a P/J bass and has a much thicker, heavier tone. I find it a lot more satisfying of a tone than the TRBX, but that’s my preference.

I really appreciate the feel and playability of my BB; I rarely play the TRBX anymore! Although, the TRBX is quite a bit lighter, which is nice. The BB just feels like a fine quality instrument. But then again, I’ve only played bass for a year and haven’t really explored a lot of high-end basses, so who knows how worthwhile my opinion actually is… :wink:

2 Likes

Or if Pearlescent, Mother of Toilet Seat. :wink:

2 Likes

I agree and I have already purchased it!!
Thanks man!

3 Likes

Yeah, the SR necks are not for everyone for sure. My hands are on the smaller side so the neck feels comfortable for me personally and I think I’ll have a preference for 38mm or Jazz style necks because of this. I think the Ray4 and my SR600E have the same size nut. Having said this I’ve not been playing long enough for me to really get the stretch going in my fretting hand, so who knows how I will feel once (if) my left hand becomes more proficient on the fret board - maybe the thinner necks will feel a bit puny.

2 Likes

I want that, where did you find it, how much is it?

1 Like

SUB was what they called them in the past.
They had the same 3 lines, but with different names

Ray34
Ray34ca (which is now the Ray23ca)
And SUB

So now there is
Ray34
And
Ray23ca and Ray4, which both say SUB SERIES in small letters UNDER the Sterling Logo.

it is all about the years built.
The Ray4 that says SUB will be prior to 2018, and prior to 2019, the Ray34 said Ray34 after Stingray logo on the headstock, AND the Ray34ca also said Ray34ca on the headstock after the Stingray.

Now they all say Stingray
The Ray34 diesn’t say Ray34 anywhere
And the Ray24ca and Ray4 also say Stingray
But both of them are designated SUB SERIES in small letters under the Sterling by MusicMan logo.

As far as I know, the quality of them has not changed, and they are all good…

But it can be a good bargaining point with people on Reverb, or in music stores that are selling them NEW. They may still be NEW, and in a box, but they are at least from before 2017, so you can try to get them to discount you since you can get a 2021 for the same price new in a box as well.

2 Likes

I was a diehard skinny fast neck player but sometimes through BMW(bitch/moan/whine), playing a big fat neck is seriously satisfying. I have a 5 string OLP that predate sterling by MusicMan that I was thinking of recut the nut an turn it into a 4 string. It already has this funky 5 string mm Bartolini pickup that’s in the shape of 4 string mm

3 Likes

Pictures please lol

2 Likes

Random googling! I just searched for “stingray steel diamond plate”

Didn’t save the link but it should turn up for you…

3 Likes

Unfortunately out of stock

2 Likes

Before I read the Bitch Moan Whine, I thought you were talking about your Bongo :rofl:

That would be cool to change it to a 4 string, but it would be cooler if it had a 5 (10) pole pick up, cuz it wold be “Old Smoothie” style.

Also, I agree with you. At first I fell in love with Ibanez SR necks. Then when I played Ray4’s, I felt like the SR necks felt a little flimsy (IMO). My LTD B-4E also has a skinny neck, but it is not as thin a profile as the SR’s, so it still feels beefy enough.

But now I actually like to play the bigger necks too.
My Dean MetalMan M has like an old school P bass neck on it, like a baseball bat, and I am really liking playing it.
I am going to do my Pantera cover with it, since it is the same style guitar that Dimebag played, but the bass version

2 Likes

Brilliant - I thought you would have all the back story on this. Thanks for the response. :+1:t4:

2 Likes