Loose Tuning Peg Fix?

Recently, the tuning peg for the G string on my Sterling Stingray 4 is constantly falling off during play. I’ve been having some troubles finding a solid solution for this online. The peg can be pushed on to a stub but I have no option to tighten, etc. I’m trying to figure out the proper solution to fix this. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

For those unfamiliar with the model:
Sterling By Music Man Stingray 4

1 Like

This is an odd issue.
Not sure what you mean by the tuning peg falling off.
I few pictures may help explain it.
Sounds like you may have to replace the offending tuning peg assembly.

I noticed your link referenced Long & McQuade.
Their luthiers are exceptional.
If your bass is still under warranty they should replace it free.
If not get a replacement and install it yourself or have them do it.

You could also call Long & McQuade and talk to one of their luthiers to see if there is an easy fix.
This would be my first step… YMMV

2 Likes

I appreciate the help so far! This is what I’m exactly dealing with. I’ve heard some fixes along the lines of super gluing, but I’m just making sure that’s an actual method of approach, lol.

I actually bought the bass on Kijiji a few years ago, just using L&M as reference.

2 Likes

Thanks for the picture.
Super glue looks like a good option to me. YMMV

3 Likes

Weird. What held it on originally? Glue? A little JB Weld or something similar may work, but that’s just off the top of my head…

3 Likes

Epoxy adhesives. Looks like Loctite makes a metal epoxy that could solve that.

3 Likes

All of the other pegs are great, definitely very odd. I’m going to go forward looking into epoxy and/or super glue! Thanks everyone!!

1 Like

If that doesn’t work @jrdnnn, then $20 will get you a new one from the official site.

2 Likes

What @Barney said, except that in the picture it seems to be the (single) treble side key.

2 Likes

Thanks @Mike_NL good eye.

Here’s the link to the treble side key

3 Likes

JB Weld it’s a great product as well.

4 Likes

It might also be worth getting a hold of repair shops, luthiers in your area, someplace like stewMac.com that sells guitar parts.

It’s easy to email that picture to people that repair guitars and see if they run across this and have a more straightforward approach to repair.

I bet this would do the trick. And a solution doesn’t get a whole lot cheaper than this.

1 Like

Going to order, thank you for the link!

1 Like