Made a Xmas deco for work

It isn’t Xmas until Hans Gruber falls from Nakatomi Tower

15 Likes

It’s basically the best Christmas movie.

7 Likes

To a large degree because Hans Gruber is such a great villain :wink:
RIP Alan Rickman!

6 Likes

Annnd - I don’t know if this is real or imagined on my part - but a certain Franz Gruber was the composer who wrote the music to Silent Night.
They HAD to have just changed that, right?

6 Likes

Ditto! Yippi Ki yay!

3 Likes

“Schießen auf das Fenster!”
“What?”
“(sighs) Shoot. The. Window!”

Everyone who has lived abroad can relate to this. Speak a sentence perfectly, the locals still don’t get it because they expect you to speak English.

5 Likes

Haha, yeah, I think you are right :exploding_head:
I think the writers were just lazy, though, and needed a “quintessential” German name that even could somehow be pronounced :wink:

Ain’t that the truth - if you get spoken to in a language you don’t expect to hear (including your mother tongue), there is no comprehension :joy:

3 Likes

:100:, happens to me all the time too. Japanese people love speaking English and showing off their skills, it’s rare they get the chance here.

Gruber’s exasperated sigh in that scene captures the feeling perfectly though, Rickman was a great actor :rofl:

3 Likes

I’m quite sure, no German would say that. The use of dative makes absolutely no sense there: “Shoot to the window” :sweat_smile:

Sloppy/lazy screenwriting :grimacing:

3 Likes

I’m sure my terrible high school German (“auf das Fenster”) was no better than the dative “dem Fenster” :rofl:

3 Likes

Well, you can find horrible German from native speakers on social media nowadays. I do find that disturbing, having learned it as a non native (and maybe being too perfectionist about it) :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Alan Rickman is definitely my top favorite actor, my favorite villain for sure. I used to work in Century City and I’ve been to “Nakatomi” building several times, lol.

3 Likes

They must have a fierce Christmas party.

3 Likes

Your sentence is perfectly fine in every sense! (Well, you should have used the imperative mood “schiess” instead of the infinitive mood “schiessen”, but the rest was correct! :joy:)

(The script version, as @Krescht pointed out, makes no sense).

3 Likes

and National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. It aint Christmas for me until Uncle Eddie lets the neighbourhood know that the shidder is full

2 Likes

5 Likes

I can’t believe I never caught that Christmas rhyme/pun during all the years I’ve been watching this movie at Christmastime. THANK YOU for pointing it out.

2 Likes

Well, I have no research or proof that this was something the writers were thinking of, but I like it, and that’s enough for me!

1 Like