Making Music with my old Navy Buddy

Today my old Submarine Vet buddy from Nam shows up here and will spend a little over a week so that we can work on some old (and new) songs together!! I’m stoked!! We typically get together every 6 months (have for many years) and always play music together. We’ve written songs together back in the day that we always play together, but this fall’s visit will be a little different… This visit will have me moving from my role as rhythm guitar to bass - which was one main reason I took @JoshFossgreen’s B2B course. I’ve already managed to write a few bass lines for some of the old songs, but it’s the ‘new’ ones in us that I’m really looking forward to creating!

Will certainly keep everyone posted as to our recording progress (time and sanity permitting) and will no doubt be posting videos/tracks/etc onto my website (again, as time and “Sanity” permit)…

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

13 Likes

don’t forget to have a good time in the process ! :grin:

6 Likes

Sounds fun & yes, enjoy yourself, get lost in the music, &, like you say, Keep on Thumpin’!

5 Likes

I didn’t know you were a bubblehead :smile:

I mean that in an endearing way. I have loads of submariner friends.

3 Likes

Awesome! Not envious at all…:rofl:

Enjoy!

4 Likes

Way better than a ‘Bubblehead’ @PamPurrs… I’m an old ‘PigBoat’ sailor… Since I was an Engineman on the old ‘Pig Boats’ from the post WWII era, I decided to get out of the Navy after 7 years because they wanted me to change my job to Machinist Mate and go ‘Nuc’ (Bubblehead) since all of the old ‘Fossile Fuelers’ were being decommissioned. Guess I’m not much of a “Glow in the dark” type dude… :smiley: But I do revere my time as an old Diesel Boat submariner…

4 Likes

Yeah, different outfit… but, same love to Diesel engines :grin:

3 Likes

Had a great time making music and reminiscing with my old Navy buddy for the last couple weeks! We started working on several songs together and got a bit overwhelmed and decided to just focus on one or two. Still got a long way to go since over time we have developed somewhat of a different style of playing then we did many years ago - I’m a bit more precise and on beat while he is a bit more Popa Chubby/Jimi Hendricks. We certainly had a ton of fun playing together again though!! Just had to make sure we played our instruments :guitar::musical_keyboard::musical_score: before we started doing other things… :tumbler_glass::beers:

6 Likes

@joergkutter - Das Boot!! Great WWII submarine movie and the most realistic that I know of.

Not much different than…

1971 - Charging batteries at night on the snorkel somewhere in the South China Sea.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing, @Lanny! That is so impressive - I would have gotten claustrophobic in no time :flushed:

4 Likes

Das Boot is a great film!

3 Likes

I was “In country” about the same time you were changing batteries in the SCS. Different jobs, but same objective :smile:

2 Likes

Good for you, @Lanny :slight_smile:

Great to hear!

4 Likes

@Lanny How did your hand hold up after the bee sting?

3 Likes

@eric.kiser - Quite well after a few GlenLivet Single Malts!! :upside_down_face::upside_down_face: But then, my bass playing suffered… :joy::joy:

4 Likes

@Lanny you’ve been absent for awhile. You’ve missed some good threads, and we all missed you as well.

4 Likes