Mic Questions

@howard Why did you go with an SM58 instead of an SM57?

The main difference is in the grille. The SM58 was designed for vocal applications, and therefore uses a ball grille with built in pop filter to eliminate plosives. The SM57 is designed as an instrument microphone, where a smaller grille size is more practical and plosives are less of a concern.

2 Likes

Yep, the 58 is a vocal mic, the 57 is an instrument mic. Though they are both really the same mic other than the grille and pop filter in the 58.

3 Likes

The SM57 has a slightly higher output above 5kHz having something to do with the grill design. So some people like to use it for vocals also.

Is this something I should concern myself with?

I had started typing before and then stopped, but was going to say…
I have two mics, a large diaphram condenser and a ribbon mic, bought both really for sax.
The Rode NT1A was the first, than an SE something ribbon mic on a reco of a good friend sax guy. I can’t tell one from the other…yet.
Point is, until your ear gets better or cares, you shouldn’t.
But a good quality mic you can afford that is suited for the job.
Then, as your ear fine tunes, you can start collecting these as well as basses, pedals, picks, strings, etc :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :woozy_face: :woozy_face: :woozy_face:

2 Likes

Roger that.

So if I’m going to lay down some sick beat boxing tracks I really need to stick with the SM58.

Got it. :sunglasses::+1:

5 Likes

What you might be more likely to see are people preferring the Beta 58 over the SM58. But both are fine.

1 Like

Still going on with making use of this thread to meet my own ends!

So I have tried to record using the already available mics in the studio which already had a 16 channel mixer which was connected to the big monitors.

I connected:
One mic for vocals, one mic for kick drum and one overhead mic to the drum set where all was connected to studio mixer. I had to lower the drum mic inputs since they would be also heard from the monitors (Spoiler, I shouldn’t have lowered them)

Both bass amp DI and guitar amp DI to the little mixer I brought and added an output from the studio mixer here…

Finally connected the output of my little mixer to the DAI…

It took about 15 minutes to figure all this out and the result was definitely a cleaner recording but the mix was pretty bad in the end (guitar and vocal too high, drums and bass barely being heard). And in the end I couldn’t set the mix afterwards since all was recorded into a single stereo track.

This time around the studio was free before we got in but if it was full all this thing would have stolen our precious practice time…

Talking to the techs in the studio I learned that they are using multi track field recorders like Zoom H6 which is kinda expensive for me… There are some used H4Ns and H1Ns around which I will consider…

I really wanted to resolve this using a single condenser mic but all my research shows that people are not doing it this way…

1 Like

It may be less expensive to get a multichannel DAI and record all the tracks separately on a PC.

Different channel counts and qualities of things like this …

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Studio1824C--presonus-studio-1824c-usb-c-audio-interface

This one is less …

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/US16x08--tascam-us-16x08-usb-audio-interface

I’d consider a mixer with a multichannel audio interface too. Though the dedicated audio interface is likely better. But with a multichannel interface in a mixer you could kill two birds with one stone there.

2 Likes

That’s what I’d do too. Something like this may be possible. It starts costing as much as the field recorder though.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DP32SD--tascam-dp-32sd-32-track-digital-portastudio?utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=PPC&mrkgadid=3251364460&mrkgcl=28&mrkgen=mpla&mrkgbflag=0&mrkgcat=studio&recording&&acctid=21700000001645388&dskeywordid=92700046997883653&lid=92700046997883653&ds_s_kwgid=58700005286965271&ds_s_inventory_feed_id=97700000007215323&ds_a_cid=405527921&ds_a_caid=9238738029&ds_a_agid=94750408718&ds_a_lid=pla-899824119964&dsproductgroupid=4581390076031716&product_id=DP32SD&prodctry=US&prodlang=en&channel=Online&storeid&device=c&network=o&matchtype=e&locationid&creative&targetid=pla-4581390076031716%3Aaud-805985215&campaignid=283268301&adgroupid=1244647316096178&gclid=fd97793928ff151360da19837b9d5c84&gclsrc=3p.ds

Ok, lower yet, assuming there’s a PC/Mac to record to . . .

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC1820--behringer-u-phoria-umc1820-usb-audio-interface

And for that matter Zoom makes a pretty slick one . . . On some of these it’s necessary to pay attention to how many tracks it can record at once. There are multitrack mix/recorders out there that only record 2 tracks at a time.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/L12--zoom-livetrak-l-12-12-channel-digital-mixer-recorder

Yeah the Zoom one looks pretty much perfect. Mackie makes a multichannel too (though it looks like it’s just 2x4, which while not bad, is pretty underwhelming. But then again, Mackie makes nice mixers.)

And you’re right, you need to pay attention; I was disappointed a while back that the Yamahas are only 2-out, because they otherwise look amazing.

I would much rather have one of these mixers than a multitrack recorder, especially since they can multitrack record to SD card anyway :slight_smile:

Thanks @howard and @DaveT but these are huge investments and quite immobile stuff to take to a weekly practice session and set them up… Where we would want to maximize the time that we play.

2 Likes

I must say that this thing seem to have solved my needs on recording band practice. Later I’ll describe it better on the mobile recording thread…

Listen to Nothing Else Matters (Cover) The FBL Band by Fahri Ayberk on #SoundCloud

5 Likes

Very decent sound quality! Look forward to reading more about how you did it; especially also wrt placement of the device in the room…

Tuning of the guitars, though… :joy: (seems to be a common thing for guitarists all over the universe :grin:)

1 Like

Yeah that guy is horrible!

Here is the more detailed explanation of what I did and why… More to come!

1 Like

Thought this would go well here

1 Like