Mistakes When First Learning Bass?

Yeah, this. A focusrite Scarlett 2i2. No aux input there. After that either amplitube to just make sounds now quickly and easily,or reaper to record the sounds I’m making for later.

It seems like there should be a free to low cost plugin to just pick “rock drum track” and insert it as a second track in reaper.

1 Like

If your Scarlett 2i2 has two inputs then does that mean it can take two SIMULTANEOUS inputs?

If that’s the case you could plug your bass into input one then your phone into the other. Connect your phone using a 1/4 male TRS to 3.5mm TRS male cable.

Screen Shot 2024-02-25 at 11.23.27 AM

https://www.amazon.ca/UGREEN-Braided-Amplifier-Digital-Keyboard/dp/B00Y2LANUU?th=1

4 Likes

Are you sure that an instrument input will act gently with a line out???!

1 Like

I have a free app on my phone called Loopz that I can plug into the aux port of my TB-4P traveler bass or I use the drum function on my Zoom B1 Four.

2 Likes

Or you could connect to the USB-c port on the back according to this video.

Edit: I don’t know if this allows SIMULTANEOUS input. You’ll have to read the manual @Billn and hopefully get some answers.

2 Likes

You all need to transport yourselves to the 21st century and give up all the wires. We livin in da future over here.

I have a free Bluetooth connectivity app for my PC that lets me play my phone over it and my PC speakers. Use this setup constantly with learning songs, slowing them down in apps etc.

3 Likes

Some of us live in Canada Eh!

8 Likes

Is it in a different time zone (century), :rofl:

2 Likes

There are many drum VSTi’s. Some have canned tracks. You could also do what I do and just make your own, it’s easy.

I use Steven Slate Drums 5. It has something like 2400 canned patterns in it. I never use them but they would fit your bill nicely.

The bonus is you get a new musical instrument as well! I use it for the drums on all our covers.

This will also be far, far easier to use than any of the other suggestions; at the cost of requiring you to be in the DAW. I always am anyway so this is no big deal for me.

3 Likes

I’m guessing you’ve never been to Newfoundland?

2 Likes

Oh man that SSD5 is just killing it. I used it on my Roland once (it was a pain to load) it sounds so awesome.

1 Like

I try to remember to be forgiving of myself and that every mistake is just a half step away from what I intended to play. So I was close right? :thinking: :laughing:

2 Likes

Yeah he is pretty famous for his drum samples. A lot of pros are using it along with his drum triggering software to replace their own kits for recording.

2 Likes

No, not yet, I mostly stay in the 21st century, :joy:

4 Likes

Wires are great though. They don’t get dead batteries, as long as they’re shielded properly you don’t get interference dropouts when someone turns on the microwave, there’s no latency issues unless you run football fields worth, etc

3 Likes

I’m going to play around with this tonight and see how it goes. I’m guessing looking up YouTube tutorials is the easiest way to learn it?

As usual, yes!

It’s also a good intro to virtual instrument plugins. Not a bad first instrument at all. I use this one a lot for real songs and it sounds great. One example:

It takes me about 45 minutes to an hour to program a MIDI drum track for a whole song, including fills. I have been doing that a long time though.

2 Likes

Just wondering guys, what does anyone think about the beatbuddy mini 2 drum machine,just purchased one, was that a waist of money or a good investment?

1 Like

People love them!

Depends on what you use it for :slight_smile:

For jamming along and practicing with your bass, people say it’s awesome.

For producing new music, it’s not the best tool.

2 Likes

very good post. I try to do one lesson a day; sometimes I repeat (like Billie Jean lesson which I just finished…for now; that was tough). I always try to have fun….that’s what it’s all about.

1 Like