Mix Strings?

Maybe this topic has been discussed before, but I’m an old guitar player and as such have a bit of a lazy streak when it comes to music so if I’m resurrecting an old topic, please understand that:

1. I’m an old retired dude
  2. I use to play 6 string guitar before taking up Bass a month ago
  3. I’m a bit lazy when it comes to searching for things online
  4. My memory is about as long as my… (fill in the blank)
  5. I’m just curious… So…

Q-1: Has anyone ever tried mixing different string types on their Bass’s??
If so…
Q-2: Did it work?

Currently, I play two different Yammies - I put Nickel Round Wounds in medium gauge on one, and on the other I put on Nickel Half Rounds in regular light gauge. Both give me great sound, tone, and sustain on certain strings for certain songs depending on if I’m playing high notes or low notes. For instance, I notice a great smooth low on the E and A strings with the half rounds, however the D and G strings that are used on some of the songs are a little too muffled and don’t give me the sharp tones I wanna hear. I’s the opposite with the one I have strung with the round wounds - great on the D and G, but a little too aggressive with way more buzz on the E and A strings.

So, has anyone mixed or matched different type strings on their Bass’s before or just have two to play as I do? Sometimes it’s a PITA to swap Bass’s between songs - especially when you play all sorts of genres…

All I can think of is back in the day when guitar players had what I referred to as a ‘Siamese Twin’ guitar that were two guitars in one… Can’t imagine that with Bass’s…

Hey, I’m Just Curious…

2 Likes

The mantra of the cigar box guitar building community is “No Rules!”… I carry that over to traditional instruments as well. Sure there are some laws of physics that can’t be broken but in general… “No Rules!”

So I say go for it Bill! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Love it @Korrigan!! Wild and Free!!

3 Likes

@Lanny - I second that vote!!

1 Like

Thanks @Korrigan & @Gio… I’m gonna give it a try… As soon as I can take a break from breaking down and re-recording some old songs that I’m working on. I’m certainly NOT a ‘Badass’ Bassist yet, but I took the course in order to start directing some of my old music and bringing out the bass line in some of the songs… Most of what we played back in the day had a more hidden bass line and between the drums and lead guitar (and lead vocals), the bass line and rhythm guitars were pretty much lost in the recordings.

I’m trying to bring out the real groove in our songs which is why I decided to take up Bass lessons and maybe learn something a little more about how bass lines feed into the overall construction of music composition. I’m no music major or anything, just an old retired half deaf vet who LOVES making music… I’ll try anything because,… I’ve got nothing to loose…

4 Likes

@Lanny: I am getting rather intrigued by these half rounds, and you are the only one in here who plays these, as far as I know.

Others?? Please let me/us know and share your experience!

What brand(s) do you use? Is it only D’Addario who makes them?

Thanks!

2 Likes

D’Addario is the only ones that I know of. I buy them online through Amazon when I can find them and usually buy a few sets at a time. If I can’t get these, I will use their Coated Round Wounds, but they do give a bit more finger action sound when sliding. The tone of the Half Rounds is somewhere between a Round Wound and a Flat Wound. They are certainly easier on the fingers…

4 Likes

Just wanted to say that I used to play violin and it is quite normal to mix strings. In fact, most of the professional players seem to do it. As a general rule, if classical musicians do something, it is probably not a bad thing to do… classical has been put through the paces for quite a lot longer than electric bass :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah, my next set of strings is going to be these:

which has essentially replaced the G string with a light gauge D string.

3 Likes

I’d really be interested to hear how they sound on your 604 @howard

1 Like

Will definitely report back. It will be a while though, my current D’Addarios are in great shape.

2 Likes

Thanks, @Lanny! I generally like round-wounds and I am more after a more modern than a vintage sound, but am struggling a bit with (what I perceive as too much) scraping noises etc - so, I plan to look into the half-rounds next time. Interesting to get a confirmation that apparently only one manufacturer has these in their selection.

2 Likes

@howard, those Elites Hook customs seem cheap for a non-standard product and with a big name attached.

1 Like

Apparently that’s Bass Centre’s schtick for strings - they have tons of artist lines.

3 Likes

I’ve gone straight to their website. Not a company that had appeared on my searches before now. I love that you get a t-shirt when you buy two sets of strings. The t-shirt you get is a bit odd, even for a Brit: it sounds like a style of playing.

3 Likes