Mix tapes?

does anyone else still make mix tapes? Taking a day off form playing and going to make a mix tape!

4 Likes

I still own a bunch of tapes, but no medium to play them :frowning:

2 Likes

Even if I still made them, I wouldn’t know what to play them on :joy:

3 Likes

Only thing I can’t play is 8 tracks!

This is my other hobby#

4 Likes

Just depends on the point of the mix tape! It is a true art to make a great mix tape!

1 Like

Haven’t made a mixed tape in decades. Damn that was sheer entertainment back in the day. Was playing a cassette tape about every other week or once a month but just discovered over Thanksgiving week that the old player said No Thanx. Still comes to life with power but none of the PLAY / FF / RW / REC buttons function these days. I mean nothing. Been told to hit the consignment stores soon. Here it is, the twenties of January. oops

2 Likes

I make playlists now instead but it’s the same thing, just with much better tools :slight_smile:

I am definitely not a vinyl or tape collector. I hate all forms of physical media. The day I sold my last CD was a happy one.

That said, making mixtapes used to be a major hobby for sure. WinAmp and friends just killed it in the '90s for me.

2 Likes

I still have the mix tape my girlfriend gave me in 1988. So sweet.

When I was 5 my Dad had a red velvet lined cassette suitcase with faux black alligator skin. I used to sit and listen for hours on the Ampex deck with headphones and get lost in the music.

I found the exact style case in a vintage store recently and bought it. I’ve thought of ordering a stack of cassettes to recreate my first music impression library.

Abbey Road, Neil Young, Blood Sweat and Tears, Joe Walsh, Harry Chapin, Moody Blues - Secret of The Lost Chord, Janice Joplin, Bob Dylan, Gordon Lightfoot, Jefferson Airplane -White Rabbit, The Doors.

I had no idea how fortunate I was to have this treasure.

5 Likes

That brings back memories from trying to make mix tapes from the Friday Night Rock Show with Tommy Vance 10pm to 12pm every Friday)
The days of innocence

4 Likes

I had a boombox with two decks, for mixing and dubbing. I used to go crazy on making the tapes. Made them for girlfriends, and myself.

I still prefer playlists :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I still have my old tapes, at least a few of them. Also I still have a cassette deck which is nothing less than a Onkyo Integra TA-2058 :

4 Likes

Nice tape deck!

2 Likes

@terb Is that for real - Those Onkyo decks were the machine back in the day. Would dream of a weekend working through my chores this weekend while running that gem.

Be Well,
Cheers

3 Likes

yeah, I also have the matching Onkyo Integra amplifier :grin:

3 Likes

I remember longing for a nakamichi dragon bitd

1 Like

The high end decks were not a thing for me. If I was at my stereo I wanted vinyl or CD and had a good turntable and CD player. All I needed for a deck in the stereo was the ablity to record for other players, not play back, except at parties where the quality was not a factor.

I got in to CDs pretty early, maybe 1984-5, like a year after they were available at all. Not cheap for a high school kid.

1 Like