Modeling "lunchbox" amp: for guitar + bass?

Hello–asking for a guitar-gearhead friend (really). Any portable practice amp that can handle both electric bass or electric guitar? (not at the same time!) Mooer Hornet White includes a bass + acoustic guitar digital settings among its 15w “amp” dials and in its blurb title it says “guitar and bass.” Their Blue version offers synth modeling instead of the vanilla White presets; each color has a different set of 9 dial-up “amps”…Blue= more experimental menu. He’d rather buy a more durable but travel-portable “lunchbox” amp with AC, not a battery-based unit which requires an AC adapter. I like my 3+3w Blackstar BassFly, and its speaker extension could be used with either their bass or guitar Fly, but it seems for a bit more cash one gains options and twice the wattage in a Mooer. (P.S. Boss Katana Mini–is that a viable guitar/bass contender?) Thanks for suggestions.

Peavey Vypr if you can find one used

1 Like

I don’t know with a bass, but it’s not bad at all (for what it is) with a guitar.

1 Like

Suppose to be an “all-in-one” acoustic/guitar/bass amp

1 Like

There is also the Yamaha THR10’s. Slightly bigger than lunch box size but still portable.

2 Likes

Hi,

I’ve got a cheap Joyo MA-10B, which is enough to play by yourself on the beach or in the park. The small speaker is at the limit and distorts unpleasantly if you turn it up to max. For $40, it’s great though. If you want to gig, you can theoretically plug it into a PA (through the headphone jack out) and it will work fine.

The main thing is that bass guitars can blow guitar speakers, so get a model which specifically states “for bass”. All bass guitar amps can handle guitars, but not the other way around.

Cheers,
Antonio

2 Likes

Spark Mini Amp did the trick for me. I use it for both guitar and bass at home. It’s very small, has an rechargeable battery, nice play along App features and BT connectivity for connecting external sounds.

3 Likes

Can you used the same Spark app for the Spark Mini?
I ask becsuse I find the Smart app so Perfect with all the choices of amps, pedals and Jamming.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s the same app. The amps are similar, the mini is just smaller and cheaper.

2 Likes

Thank you, and the mini have a battery too.
It’s a win+win Amp.

2 Likes

No problem, I am also very pleased with all it’s capabilities. I do like using the community presets too. That feature reminds me a lot of Source Audio pedals.

2 Likes

I had a Spark but purchased a Yamaha THR30 II and love it, and gave the Spark to my son, but I will admit that I like it for my acoustic and electric guitar better than the bass simply because I like something that pushes more air when playing the bass.

2 Likes

I must say that I’ve been pretty unimpressed by the Spark, with a bass.

3 Likes

I would recommend the mini over the OG Spark. Elmo Karjalainen had a nice review (this guy is super skeptical). I do wish they would add more bass amps in the future, it seems you got more options for guitar.

2 Likes

the mini would be interesting to try, yeah

2 Likes

@EddieJones and @vince.suttle and fellow BadAsses: thanks for these tips and I am glad I sparked (ha) conversations among you all. My pal opted given his budget (Sparks are on a higher price point?) for a-near pristine Vypyr VIP-1. Not quite lunchbox but maybe more a box of two jumbo detergents? Apparently Peavey does not make it anymore according to their website, but generally they’re going for at least US$200 at retailers. Have fun with your gear, experts all!

1 Like

Me I am impress with my Spark 40 with my bass.
I know it’s not a big powerfull amp, but for a practicing small amp it’s hard to beat, plus you can record with it and Jam with it, or even use it like a sound system.
For me, best amp on the market for electric
Guitar, coustic buitar and Bass.
The Spark app is GREAT.

Positive Grid is letting you customize Spark and Spark Mini right now with CUSTOM15 as a 15% off code.